1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5l Runs good until up to temperature, then sputters and dies

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by 525JoeyYJ, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Jan 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    HotRodN

HotRodN Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Willy's 2 door
    Bumper, winch, fender flares. Stock ride height for now.
    You may want to look up what the pressure should be for that TBI. I have an 88 and it will not start after it gets warmed up if it dies for some reason. A little squirt of gas from my bottle or either and it fires back up and runs fine. The ole motor is tired and smokes like crazy for a bit if I haven't run it in a while,,, then smokes like a normal tired engine. But hey it's a woods trail riding machine,,, not on the street,,,, yet :)))

2. Jan 19, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    525JoeyYJ

525JoeyYJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    Thanks! I will, I have had no time to check the pressure yet... Hopefully this weekend.

3. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM
    OleMissYJ

OleMissYJ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    89 Wrangler YJ
    My 89 yj is carburated. But my buddies is tbi so I guess that year had both. The problem your having seems fuel related to me but I wouldn't give up on making sure all of your vacuums lines are hooked up correctly. That amount of running time seemed like it's building up vacuume pressure and choking out the motor to me.

4. May 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    DavidH93

DavidH93 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1993 Black Wrangler S
    Sounds like a vapor lock in the fuel line, this happens when the gas tank or the gas line get too hot. I have seen this many times on various vehicles. Causes I have seen are exhaust leak blowing on gas tank, gas line touching manifolds or laying close to the engine, or exhaust leak from exhaust manifold heating up gas line. Vapor lock happens when temp get hot enough to turn gas to a vapor within the line which then causes the engine to act like it is running out of gas and will shut down eventually. Once cooled slightly enough the gas will flow back to carb till it gets hot again

Justanotherjeeper likes this.
  5. Jun 5, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    Justanotherjeeper

Justanotherjeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Wrangler 2 door
    paid cash for it.
    Does your Jeep throw any error codes? Engine temp is the assumed cause and effect, and that signals a sensor problem if correct. However, on older vehicles something outside the box could be causing the problem, and engine temp is just a coincidence. For example, once the Jeep is running and all the rust and sediment in the old fuel tank gets stirred up, it blocks the fuel flow and starts to sputter. Whenever you have an old rig that isn't running right, its always a good idea to clean out the fuel tank. Its rarely clean in there.

6. Jun 5, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    LYFZGOOD

LYFZGOOD members

Member:
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    2.5” lift 32x11.50x15,cold air intake, Smittybuilt stainless steel Bumpers, rough county pocket flares,Rugged ridge seat covers and floor mats. Conversion LED headlights 20’ LED Light bar hardtop,soft top,bikini top.
    My thoughts exactly!

To Top