1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1997 electrical problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Doylecraig11, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    Doylecraig11

Doylecraig11 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 97 wrangler. The battery keeps dying bc it’s being drained but I’m not sure how to find where. When I put the charger on the terminals the ignition beeps and the mileage lights up. So when the jeep is off and keys are out the mileage stays lit and drains battery. Any ideas? Could be in the ignition of steering wheel. I have put so much money into my jeep at this point until I can afford to fix can I remove a fuse? And put fuse back in to use jeep? Any ideas are appreciated

2. Feb 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Your battery may have a short, or you may have a bad alternator. Have you had them checked? Orielly's, Autozone, Advanced auto parts and other will check this for you without charge. If these check out, then I would consider the cables to the battery suspect. They can build up corrosion under the plastic coating that inhibits flow of electricity. Preventing solid current to and from the battery. This is where I would start assuming you have already done the obvious, making sure all electronics are turned off i.e. headlights radio and any aftermarket stuff like phone chargers disconnected etc.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    Doylecraig11

Doylecraig11 [OP] Member

Member:
    I put a brand new battery in it. The problem started before I had the new battery installed

4. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    Offroad798

Offroad798 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    fenders, bumpers, winch, inner fenders, cb, headliner storage, oil pan armor
    Welcome to the forum from Florida. I would do this troubleshooting in steps. First I would what to know if you did any repairs or replaced anything in the jeep. I would then check my work. Any electrical work ? Second, I would check the alternator as OFFGRID said. Or if your t-shooting skills are good and you have a good multi meter you can check the alt diodes. Usually, a bad alternator diode will cause your headlights, instrument panel lights, or stereo display to flicker or dim and, sometimes, drain battery power overnight or much sooner. I will assume the battery is good because you have already replaced it - not always good to assume LOL. Third is a parasitic draw test or voltage drop test ( used on more newer vehicles with more computers, modules and electronics). You could probably do a parasitic draw test. This would require to put you meter in series with the battery at the negative side and meter being able to read 20 amps. Do not open doors, lights, horn or set alarms if equipped. This will pop the fuse on your meter so bypass or disable them. Locate your fuse boxes . You should have less then 35 milli amps (ma). If more, pull each fuse one by one to see which one drops down to or below 35 ma. Let me know what you find. Good luck.

maxresdefault.jpg

5. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! Your getting great information from OffGrid and OffRoad798. Got one variable out of the way with the new battery now to find the parasitic drain....

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:45 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum Doylecraig11.
    Agreed. Awesome advice given already. Great places to start. Keep us posted

7. Feb 9, 2018 at 12:51 AM
    Doylecraig11

Doylecraig11 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have had a ton of work done to it. It wasn’t a problem before all the work. Going to have the guy that did all the work check it out. We just keep getting more snow and my jeep sits... ugh. Thank you all so much for your input. I do appreciate it. Will keep you updated

JKBob 25 likes this.
  8. Feb 9, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Again definitely check the alternator. If it was barely hanging on, and if any of that work you did involved electronics i.e. winch, lights, electronic lockers, stereo with amps etc.; this could have been too much for a weakening alternator. Can you list the recent work done? This might help us to help you find the currant draw if there is one.

9. Feb 9, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    Doylecraig11

Doylecraig11 [OP] Member

Member:
    I had a whole new clutch system, power steering, had to replace the exhaust manifold...and a bunch of little things.

10. Feb 9, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Clutch and system, power steering, and exhaust manifold don't have any electrical to them, but wires can lay up against the exhaust manifold where the get hot and melt shorting out. I know you said you have a new battery, but sometimes those batteries get dropped in shipping causing one lead element to fall into another causing it to short so even when it is charging it is also discharging and when motor is off it drains itself through the internal short. All of the above are just guesses, but where I would start. Take to auto parts store where they will test both your alternator and battery for free. I also like Offroad's way of testing for a drain. I have never had to or thought of doing this myself. Great information @Offroad798 .

11. Feb 9, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    Doylecraig11

Doylecraig11 [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah like I said I am pretty sure it was doing that before talk the work. I took it mudding and the clutch gave out so it sat for many months.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  12. Feb 9, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Well...there's your first mistake. You took her in the mud. Lolll.

Kidding of coarse. I read over previous posts. Your issue didn't start until you had some work done. That would be my first stop. The shop that did the work. If this issue didn't start till then. Back track your steps.....to the shop. Do they guarantee their work??? That's where I'd start. Keep us posted....K.

To Top