1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Cherokee XJ Sport… crazy electrical issues, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by 2000XJ64, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Apr 14, 2023 at 1:33 AM
    2000XJ64

2000XJ64 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2000 Cherokee XJ SPORT 4X4
    Hello all,

Picked up this ‘2000 XJ Sport, 4WD, 4 dr, 4.0 liter; A/T (AW4), with 185,000 mi. on the odometer. When I picked the XJ up I found both tranny cooler lines punctured so after replacing the lines and fluid the Jeep was driven on to a transport and trailered to my home.

Within a few days the instrument/gauge cluster started flipping out, so I removed the cluster from the dash to test, clean, and refit the 2 connectors that allow the cluster to communicate, I also inspected, cleaned, re-attached the 2 ground connections under the dash; and the rest of the grounds associated with the dash.

At this point I noticed the battery was staying charged, the voltmeter on the cluster would not get any higher than 11 volts and eventually drop to 0 volts. The alternator was tested and replaced. Fast forward to “Real Time” and the charging, cluster issues are gone with the exception of the tachometer, and voltmeter flipping out when I turn the overhead dome light, or headlights on, and the rear hatch wiper turns on when either the headlights or dome are switched on. Both the radio and turn signals aren’t operating correctly either.

The grounds in the engine compartment, including the engine block grounds, firewall have ALL been inspected, cleaned, and re-attached accordingly. New positive and negative battery cables and connections have been installed. All of the above mentioned maintenance brings the XJ and I to this point in time… any suggestions will greatly help and truly be appreciated.
    Regards, 2000XJ64.

To Top