1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC problem

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by Rdb533, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:43 PM
    Rdb533

Rdb533 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1993 Jeep wrangler YJ
    I have a 93 yj 4cyl 2.5L and I'm getting conflicting reasons with an ac problem. One per person say compressor (more expensive to buy but easier to replace. The other says expansion valve (less expensive to buy but harder to replace). So, either way I'd like to try to narrow it down if I can. I have a set of gauges that I'm still getting used to but want and need to get better with them having 2 old cars and very limited funds. My Jeep has an under dash ac that was there when I purchased it. OK, issue is, ac not cooling which worked one day then went out the next day and not cooling and when I put the gauge on (engine off) I have about 40psi on both low and high. The system had been flushed and dryer and seals were replaced. After trying to introduce refrigerant both the low and high side went up to about 90psi (engine and ac on). From what I do know the low side is to high and the high side is low. The other thing is that under the dash right by the expansion valve (with ac on) I hear what I'll call a noticeable "ticking" noise. When I have the ac fan on and turn the cooling knob off the sound goes a way so it's not the fan motor. I would really appreciate any help and any layman instructions on how to proceed with trying to diagnose which one might be problem or what else it might be.

2. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site! I think this is indicative of the expansion valve.

Bob likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @Rdb533 ...Just trying to follow the repair steps: was vacuum pump used to remove moisture and did the system hold the vacuum?

4. Jun 19, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Rdb533

Rdb533 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1993 Jeep wrangler YJ
    Yes a vacuum pump was used and it did hold vacuum.

To Top