1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

APRS (ham radio)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Prerunner1982, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door, 97 XJ 4 door, 00 XJ 4 door
    Guy from a FB group I am in recently went from South Texas to Alaska, here is his track via APRS.
    The dashed lines are where he was not able to be tracked, a few spots in the contiguous 48. A little more power and a higher gain antenna may have filled in a few of those spots.
    Not 100% coverage but still useful. I sent him some messages via APRS along the way, some made it, some didn't. Passing messages and your location appearing on the internet is all based on infrastructure put up by private individuals and radio clubs. Unfortunately some of the internet gateways are receive only, which prevents any messages from being passed from the Internet to RF which is a problem I have locally. I can sent local messages through a digital repeater, but if it has to go through the internet to someone out of my area I would not get their response. I can still send messages though and that is good to at least check in with the wife to say I am ok. APRS TX to AK.jpg

chris4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top