1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery keeps dying and gauges bouncing everywhere

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by TrapperJeep, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mar 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    TrapperJeep

TrapperJeep [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep wrangler sport
    2 inch lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, KC Hi litesq
    Hi guys,
    Having an issue with my 2005 TJ Wrangler Sport (189000+ miles). I parked it about 2 months ago when I purchased a 2016 Wrangler as my daily driver. I would take my 05 out every now and then, and it ran fine. Couple of days ago, went to drive it, and the battery was dead. No big deal, it had sat for about 2 weeks, just needed a jump start. Got it jumped, started right up. As soon as I shut it off, battery was dead again. Jump started it again, drove it around the block a few times to charge up the battery, and that when I noticed the radio display kept flickering (it's a stock radio) and then the odometer started flickering. Got it back to the house (it ran fine) and shut it off. The gauges went nuts, the speedo and the tach needles were bouncing all over the place, and the battery was dead, wouldn't start. I pulled the battery out to put it on a trickle charger. I think the ECU/PCM might be shot. Any suggestions??

2. Mar 25, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Finish the charge first, check connections, get the battery and alternator tested before suspecting the ECU.

JKBob 25 and Bob like this.
  3. Mar 26, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    mudbug85603

mudbug85603 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Upstate SC
    '98 SE Super 35 D30w/Aussie Core 4x4 arms, JKS and Metalcloak trackbars
    Also physically clean all the battery connections 12+ on alternator and PDC. Clean all the grounds from battery to block block to frame, block to alternator and block to firewall. All of these connections need to bright shiny clean. Then get the battery load tested and have it checked for draw. You would be surprised at what conditions dirty connections and or a bad battery will cause.

Rc Jeep and aggrex like this.
To Top