1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Both Front Door Module Relays Continuously Click

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Electroshop, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Oct 14, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    Electroshop

Electroshop [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Stock)
    My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having problems with door locks and windows operation. I have confirmed door jam wiring is ok, So, I can rule that out. This particular problem I am having, I believe is related to the Body Control Module (BCM), one or both Door modules (DDM and/or PDM), PCM or the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI). I am hoping you Jeep gurus can help me take care of this once and for all. I can disconnect the positive cable and short it to the negative, then wait approx. 10 minutes, reconnect the battery, turn the key to run position and I can then operate all windows up and down and the PDM will operate all locks (both lock and unlock) but the DDM only unlocks it own door. This all happens for approx. 5 minutes. On the final minute of operation, the windows would operate intermittently with the timing of the up and coming relay clicking (That has not actually started yet) but will move, stop, move, stop). Then all the door modules relays start cycling on and off (*-*----*-*----*-*) in the same timing as when the windows were moving, stopping in the last minute of operation but now the windows stopped operating. I turn the key off and back on. The MIL lights on instrument cluster come on, then the door module relays start to cycle by themselves... At the exact time, 2 MIL lights go out. then a pause in the cycling (as indicated above (*-*----*-*)). as the second cycle starts, 2 more MIL lights go out in exact time with the relay cycling. I then disconnect the battery, short the positive to the ground terminal, wait 10 minutes and everything works fine for 5 minutes and starts cycling again. I will be taking my O-Scope and DMM out to take some measurements on the pins of the OBD connector tomorrow. Pin #2 is the PCI Bus signal (I think). I have a OBDLink-S as well, but that is not telling me anything on the modules operation. Maybe I have to buy additional software for module test. I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that as well. Can someone help me with this?? This is driving me crazy. I have spent days trying to figure this out and run a business as well, so any help is much appreciated.

Also.. I'm not sure if it is related but, I have 2 wires just hanging from the door lock cylinder switch and I can't find a connection for it on the door harness anywhere. I am at a total loss on where to connect it. I am not sure what modifications the previous owner had done before, but I do know he replaced the front door window modulator/motor assemblies. Does anyone have a door wiring diagram with the lock cylinder option illustrated so that I can wire that in. Or maybe give me an idea on what to do here. I have lost many, many hours researching and can find nothing. Any help what-so-ever would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Oct 15, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Brian, welcome from Oklahoma.

Sounds like a real headscratcher there. I hate electrical problems.
    Since both the windows and door lock mess up at the same time I would think it's something like the BCM.
    You can get BCMs on ebay for $50-$75 or if you have a LKQ near you for about $30.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Oct 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome aboard!

4. Oct 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    have you tried removing DDM testing then reinstall and removing PDM for testing?

Battery is fully charged ?

Attached Files:

To Top