1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cj 5 pinion angle

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Drd88, May 8, 2018.

1. May 8, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    Drd88

Drd88 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Silver creek new york
    Vehicle:
    79 cj 5/2000 wrangler
    360amc Borg Warner t-18 trans
    I recently took of old leaf springs of of my 79 cj 5,the previous owner did a axle under leaf spring...after and during I noticed that the rewelded mounts on axle we're aligned wrong...upon further inspection a friend suggest I figure out the correct pinion angle. Before I start to grind and weld plates in correct spot..not sure what rear end is in there...believe it's spooled if that helps.....looking for correct angle so I can drive this summer...thanks dan

2. May 8, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Tom Wood's Custom drive shaft has great tech info under their Tech button: http://www.4xshaft.com/ , so you have a Spring over axle (SOA) lift. With this kind of lift on a CJ5 you should probably be running a Double cardan (CV style) drive shaft. To use this style shaft the Pinion yoke should be pointed directly at the output yoke of the Tcase. I drop it a degree under because the pinion will rotate up a degree or 2 when driving down the road under power. If you don't have an axle traction bar also known as a Latter bar you should have a custom spring pack durable enough to prevent spring or axle wrap in the back; M.O.R.E makes a traction bar. Rubicon Express makes a SOA specific spring for the YJ which will fit the CJ in the back. To run them in the front you will need to change the front hangers of the front springs to YJ hangers. Hope this info helps. Respond back if you have any questions.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    aggrex, Drd88[OP] and Rc Jeep like this.
  3. May 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Drd88

Drd88 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Silver creek new york
    Vehicle:
    79 cj 5/2000 wrangler
    360amc Borg Warner t-18 trans
    Yes I got the yj conversion..looks sweet...I'm looking into the drive shaft thanks...

To Top