1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CJ Heater upgrade

Discussion in 'CJ' started by jeep7777, May 7, 2019.

1. May 7, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    jeep7777

jeep7777 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 cj5
    New hard top/paint job heater upgrade with blazer motor, A/C, 33”all terrain wheels and rims, new seats, upgraded electrical system, 8000# warn winch. Home made bumper upgrades.
    76/77 cj5 heater upgrade blower (in cab)

I recently upgraded my heater blower motorin my 77 CJ5 Jeep with a blower from a 90 blazer. Attached are the steps I did to accomplish the upgrade:
    1. I did some research to determine which motor would work for this upgrade. The motor I used was a 90 blazer PM 141 - It has a 5/16 shaft close to 2" in length, and turns CCW. (You determine the direction by looking at the shaft and the direction of rotation not the back of the motor) 2. I then verified the rotation once I purchased the fan by connecting my battery chargerto the electrical prong and the ground on the shroud. 3. I then determined how much gap there was between the new motor and the old fan shroud or fan box cover. My measurement determine approximately 7/8". 4. I found a ¾ " thick board and a 1/8" piece of panel board in my garage that was perfect for this. 5. I measured the widest area on the motor that tapers until it is square’d off on the motor and made a circle on the panel to cut the hole with a jiz saw. 6. After cutting the hole I made sure that board would go over the motor and then I drew out the shroud on the panel and cut it out too along with a small protrusion from the motor electric prong so everything would fit square. . 7. I used the panel as a template and cut the ¾ in board out too. 8. I then determined that the old metal shroud would need to be modified too for the motor to sit square. I measured the new motor and cut what I needed out for the motor to fit securely. There were two protruded areas on the motor that I had to cut gaps out of the shroud. I also made sure that the air vents were opened up to make sure the motor will keep cool. (grinder worked and fine tuned with a file) 9. I then clamped everything together to make sure everything matched up good. Once everything was together, I drilled 4 holes and installed 1 ¼ " bolts with locking nuts. (make sure this does not interfere with the fan squirrel cage, I put these bolts on the outside edge of the cage.) 10. I then fit it up to the heater and made sure there was clearance throughout and put the juice to it. Perfect blows big time - exactly what was needed. 11. I then took everything apart, painted it black, and made a home made gasket between the motor and the original shroud making sure the holes were opened so the motor can keep cool. 12. I also put silicone between all boards and the original fan shroud on the wood side. 13. Bolted everything back together and painted again. (make sure to put tape over the vent hole and cover the electric prong. 14. I have ordered a 3 way switch with a built in resistor. Hopefully this will help you or give you some ideas - Good luck!!!
    Quick trick-- for faded plastic use linseed oil with a cloth - install wet and let dry-- It will look new even a faded dash (does not matter what color). It stinks for a while but after the smell, it keeps its luster.

Post Edited
    • Last edited by jeep7777 -

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 7, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @jeep7777 glad to hear you got your fix!

3. May 7, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    jeep7777

jeep7777 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 cj5
    New hard top/paint job heater upgrade with blazer motor, A/C, 33”all terrain wheels and rims, new seats, upgraded electrical system, 8000# warn winch. Home made bumper upgrades.
    Thanks. Had pictures that would not download. Hope this information can help someone.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. May 7, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Awesome you posted up your fix dude @jeep7777 . We have had members that dine and dash. Get their fix. And they bounce. Thanks for posting up. Hang out....bunch a awesome members here. Youll have fun.

To Top