1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CJ5 1980 - Cannot shift gears

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Rashantha, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Apr 26, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    Rashantha

Rashantha [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello
    My CJ5 was towed. It had a club on it. When I went to pick it up. They couldn't put the Jeep into gear.
    The pedal works but the gear stick will not budge at all.
    The transmission shop says they need $500 to disconnect to see what the problem is.
    Does anyone have any advice. Seems like a lot.

I have Warn hubs on the jeep.

One another note. The tow truck company ended up putting the Jeep on the street and I had to get it towed by another company. It's been sitting in a garage for 2 years now. I think I missed the deadline to sue the tow company. The police department dismissed my ticket because the Jeep was towed from a place that had no signs. I am in California. Sorry for the drama.

I really miss my Jeep.

2. Apr 26, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site! I'm not very familiar with the cj5 jeeps, but we have a few super knowledge folks in here that shed pop in soon.

3. Apr 26, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    $500 should cover both the the removal and installation. That is the standard fee when taking a 4x4 to a shop to have tranny rebuilt, in Houston anyway. Another 300-500 to have it rebuilt depending on the tranny up to 5speed standard and 4 speed auto. I don't know about new trannies cause I haven't had to rebuild one yet.

I assume this is a standard, cause the CJ5 did not come with an automatic. You said the stick is frozen? Did you have it in first gear when it was towed? Is it still stuck in first gear? Did they disconnect the drive shafts (probably not). Would think they would at least put everything in neutral, but who knows. Yes you should have taken care of this as soon as you had the ticket dismissed, and they would have been liable for the repairs, but too late now unless where you are there is a longer statute of limitations. Sounds like a rebuild and extra parts might be in the works.

What year is your jeep and is it a 3 or 4 speed?

aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  4. Apr 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    Rashantha

Rashantha [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes. It's a standard 4 speed. I usually put in 1st gear. They didn't disconnect the drive shaft. And I can't turn the jeep on at all.
    I am in California. Just googled Statue...
    :)
    Injury to Personal Property
    3 yrs. Civ. Proc. §338(b), (c)

I will go to the shop today and check the gears again. I can't remember all the details now.

I have also been toying with the idea of converting it to Electric.
    My engine is good but I get a lot of exhaust smell. I think it's an issue with manifold or carb.
    I did replace the carb and replaced the entire exhaust pipe, gas tank.

5. Apr 26, 2018 at 3:45 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! In the city one can see Grand Cherokees AWD towed from the front rolling away with intermittent chirps from the rear tires which can't be good :annoyed:. Its unusual to wait 2+ years to check on the CJ but as mentioned the trans shop should be able to find the problem. Hope the damage is limited.

6. Apr 26, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum. Your in good hands with above posted members. Me...sorry. Not the slightest idea what issue could be. Im just here for moral support. Lolll.

Drd88 likes this.
  7. Apr 27, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    You Can't turn the Jeep? Do you mean the steering wheel from left to right and right to left? If so it sounds like you have more going on than just the tranny. Did this jeep by any chance sit in high water?

To Top