1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooling fan issues.

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by JKBob 25, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Oct 5, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    I have a 2016 JK Wrangler. Started up one morning and a few seconds later. Check engine light comes on. Now since its not blinking, and the Jeep didn't start to run unusually. I figured it was something stupid. Nope...checked usual suspects....gas cap etc.

So later that weekend. I hook up my Superchip. I get 2 codes. P0480 (Cooling fan 1 control circuit and P0693, (Cooling fan 2 control circuit low). So I spend basically the next 3 days in Goggle and youtube. And i cant find anything pertaining to ANY Jeep Wrangler. Found crap on Patriots, Compass, and other Jeep brand vehicles. But not one frickin Wrangler. And of coarse, all their relays, fuses, batteries, and all else I thought it might be. Are all different, and in different locations. I even checked out other vehicles, just to get an idea of where to start. And the one thing they all pretty much had In common. It's a relay issue. So after hours of searching where this really might be. I found them, yup, them. 2 of them by accident. So i replaced them. Hook up Superchip. And it appears i cleared the codes. Nope....lights up again. Hook up Superchip. Same codes. Relays didn't do shit. Even ran AC to see if fan would kick in. Nope.

So now I'm not sure where to go. There's absolutely nothing online. Has anyone seen, or had, or heard of this issue? Can I hard wire fan to battery and eliminate the fan motor? Is there a sensor I'm missing? I don't believe it's a TIPM issue. Not having issues with anything else electrical or otherwise. Pulled numerous fuses and relays. No corrosion at all..

Any help....ideas....suggestions. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Billy1234 likes this.
  2. Oct 6, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    Billy1234

Billy1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Vehicle:
    1997 XJ 2 door
    None yet
    Jkbob sounds like you just have the insides of said (jeep brand vehicles) lol but honestly I would think you could hard wire it to battery with a switch. Just my 2 cents.

JKBob 25[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 6, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    There may not be a Wrangler specific Po480 video but generally a Chrysler/FCA video on troubleshooting PO480 should point you in the right direction as they share similar parts and/or design. Check out these videos if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=winfXPvjtgQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXt0ji_GXs

It's possible you may not have found the broken wire or corroded part or correct relay for that cooling fan circuit

4. Oct 7, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    3 days of googleing ? suggest you see authorized jeep dealer but its jersey.
    there are only those 2 (stupid) Codes? I would not consider cooling stupid and NO AC is undrivable..

lets take a quick look- the jeep is STOCK no aftermarket BS- remove the chip POS.
    I suspect there are more codes OR some BS modifications.

P0480-COOLING FAN 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT/OPEN
    P0693-COOLING FAN 2 CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW - 3.6L

note keyword CIRCUIT

simple circuit there is a elec issue to the fan module..
    check wiring - the grounds at fan module, fusible link and modulated voltage on BR/LB to fan module from TIPM - suspect is TIPM.

Attached Files:

aggrex likes this.
  5. Oct 8, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    @aggrex. Thank you videos. I did see 2nd one. But not 1st. Thank you. And just watched it. Not same type relay switch. Mine has 2 relays up near brake master cylinder. I assume I should do that test at plug near fan itself.

@Awrench. Thank you as well. But I have no modes to TIPM. No light bars or such plugged in to it. All wiring is separate from TIPM. AC is running fine. And no other codes other than p0480 and p0693. And I don't know what chip your referring to, to remove. So my next move is to check for bad fusable link, grounds at or near fan module. If I can find it. And I'm sorry..BR/LB?? And thank you again for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

I'm totality retarded when it comes to electrical issues.

Billy1234, aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  6. Oct 9, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    UPDATE:
    Using a circuit tester. I pulled plug at the fan. With Jeep running. Both positive and negative tabs lit up tester nice and bright. So being retarded when it comes to electrical issues. I can assume every thing between the fan and the battery are good. I have complete circuits. My next move is hooking up hot wires from the fan side of the plug to the battery, and check fan operation.

chris4x4, OFFGRID and Billy1234 like this.
  7. Oct 9, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    Billy1234

Billy1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Vehicle:
    1997 XJ 2 door
    None yet
    (completely retarded)?... hmmm lol

JKBob 25[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 9, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Hey.....@Billy1234...I didn't say completely retarded. :flipoff: Although, i do have my moments at times. o_O.

9. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    Awrench

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    OK I see you have a test light - here is what I am thinking...
    First the CHIP - you said in OP "hooked up my 'superchip" ?

Look at the diagram I attached - lets focus on the FAN Module Radiator Cooling. 3 wires, 1,2,4 you Have 12v at 1 and 4... good. #2 wire is a ground check if you can.
    note #4 wire is BR/LB that is the wire color - BRown with a Light Blue tracer..

the BR/LB is the ground side of the circuit, it goes to the TIPM, the TIPM controls WHEN to ground fan module.
    TIPM - it will pulse the ground to change speed. SO grounding this wire would turn on fan for a test - not advised YET.

We are back to TIPM WHY is IT not turning on fan -
    want to continue or feeling overwhelmed?

FYI in the shop a scanner would be the tool - we would push a few buttons and confirm this in 10minutes.

chris4x4 and aggrex like this.
  10. Oct 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    @Awrench. A little overwhelming. But I pickin up what your postin. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time and help. You've already leaned me a few things. Thank you. So moving along.

Here's what I found. I used circuit tester to test BR/LB wire. With motor running and AC blower on high. And tester attached to positive battery term. Test light flickers. With key on, but motor not running. No light.

Ran hot wires from battery to fan side of harness. Fan does nothing.
    What's my next move? Thank you....

11. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:54 AM
    Awrench

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    a testlight on BR/LB (control) wire flashes - that is correct.
    >>> the TIPM is the pulsing the ground.

I would next check the ground wire #2 in diagram... see attachment
    that would leave the fan module as problem - before condemning fan module Ca Ching...
    check power wire at battery tight no corossion, electrical connector and the mentioned ground.
    As the control wire is pulsing the TIPM is doing its thing PULSING the fan but fan is NOT responding

fan elec connector.jpg
    ground 904a.jpg

aggrex, JKBob 25[OP] and chris4x4 like this.
  12. Oct 11, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    UPDATE:
    All battery connections look great. No corrosion, tight, and also from TIPM. All cables and wires, tight. Ground mentioned above, tight. All fuses look good.

So, with the awesome help from @Awrench. I think I finally have this figured out. Of all the case scenarios it coulda been. The fan module is not the worst. But it's still a cha ching moment for sure. Considering it's a $500 part. Oh well. It is what it is. Coulda been worse. Thankfully it's not a TIPM issue.
    Thank you @Awrench. I greatly appreciate all your time and help. I owe you a beer....or a cup of coffee.

13. Oct 14, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    OK....WTF.
    Nothing unusuall. Went for Jeep juice. No bumps, hills, nothing weird.
    Start up JK. And notice engine light disappears. It was there...then gone. Cleared itself?? Didn't swap fans yet. Get to where I'm headin. And Turn on AC, blower on high. And I hear fan kick on. Huh...really. WTF... l checked and rechecked everything with test light. Nothing changed. Everything good. Check AC. And fan kicks on. WTF happened??
    Girlfriend suggested it could be a short somewhere. I agree. But where??? Circuit tester confirms all lines good. The fan motor itself?? Is there a way I can test outside test I've already performed? I'm like....WTF...:notsure:.

14. Oct 14, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Well....hang in there. Maybe something you touched or jarred or tightened. Works for now and eliminates the fan motor.

JKBob 25[OP] and chris4x4 like this.
  15. Oct 15, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16

J.E.E.P. Just enjoy every possibility

16. Oct 15, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Yeah...Still doesn't make sense. Engine light reset itself as if there was a gas cap issue...ya know. Believe me. Not complaining. Saved me $450.

17. Oct 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    Awrench

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    your recent development would have me regroup and go down the TIPM trail...

18. Oct 17, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    What do you suggest I do next @Awrench .

19. Oct 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    IME Chrysler vehicles with faulty TIPMs are like driving something possessed. Horn firing randomly, lights intermittent, starting issues, etc. Here's hoping your problem went away or took a break LOL

JKBob 25[OP] likes this.
  20. Oct 17, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Yeah....hoping it went away. $450 for a 3 year old fan is a tough not to swallow. Still paranoid about it thou.

Billy1234 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top