1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential Lockers

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by Machinehead49, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    Rc Jeep

Rc Jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    Jeeps like to crawl.

C2T[QUOTED] and chris4x4 like this.
  2. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    Machinehead49

Machinehead49 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Grey Wrangler Sahara
    Rancho short arm suspension 2.5" Lift kit with Rs5000 Shocks, Cooper 33" tires, Mickey Thompson classic baja locks.
    Good to know. I am usually the turtle up the hill anyway. I guess I would use them in the few times I have gotten stuck in the thick stuff and see if that makes a difference. I also couldn't make it up a hill that a '98 jeep WITH lockers did make it up. But there was thick stuff where i got stuck 3 times so...

3. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,

Just remember....they work best if engaged BEFORE you are stuck. hahaha.....

chris4x4 and Rc Jeep like this.
  4. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    Rc Jeep

Rc Jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    ^^this. I forgot I have engaged both lockers a couple times when I was doing a water crossing that was about 2 feet deep and it wasnt rocks it was sand at the bottom. Engaged prior to entering the flowing water.

chris4x4 likes this.
  5. Sep 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    Machinehead49

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Rancho short arm suspension 2.5" Lift kit with Rs5000 Shocks, Cooper 33" tires, Mickey Thompson classic baja locks.
    Can I engage while moving? Probably not eh?

6. Sep 8, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Sometimes lockers don't help either. lol

deep.jpg
    ballsdeep.jpg

Rc Jeep likes this.
  7. Sep 8, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Yes, you can. You should not be going very fast and as straight as possible at the time you activate the locker but they lock best when moving...just not too fast.

EDIT: WHEN MOVING...not when the wheels are spinning.

8. Sep 8, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    Machinehead49

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Copy

9. Sep 8, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    Machinehead49

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lol that is a lot of snow

C2T[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    Oogie

Oogie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett / Samm
    Flastaff / HB
    Vehicle:
    89 xj Frankenstein
    98 motor, sye, 8.8 LSD, 4.10 gears
    me and all my jeep friends are up here in flag let me know next time your up here

Bob likes this.
  11. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:20 AM
    JeepAndrew

JeepAndrew Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '93YJ/'97XJ
    I'm running the Eaton E-lockers front and rear on my '93 Wrangler. So far no problems and they pretty much lock/unlock instantly. I only use them when I have to, which is usually in the nastiest stuff I've encountered on the trail.

12. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    BigThunder

BigThunder Member

Member:
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 TJ
    i run an Aussie locker in the front and an Eaton on the back. pushing through some deep and nasty Texas mud and so far haven't had any probs. the Aussi auto engages when put in 4x4 and i don't flip the switch on the rear unless i think there could be some issues with the spot on the trail. Anyways, works for me and seems like everyone else also has a good set up. You have to think of lockers like that person that ask you why you have a 4x4 if you only drive it too and from work; you never know when you might need it but it's nice to know that you have it just in case.

13. Oct 14, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I run Detroit locker in the rear always and nothing else, although I have been playing with the idea of a spool on my next build. Spools should really be used with longer wheel bases 106in and longer, and are not very street friendly. I installed the New Detroit/Eaton Elocker in the front of my CJ7. It is a new product. I love it! I have had it a year and no problems what so ever. I have used it in the rocks and mud both with no issues. The plus side to it is no air lines or air compressor needed. That being said before the Elocker came out, I had ARB. My buddy has Ox locker with a cable engager. His cable has corroded twice. I would stay away from so-called lunch box lockers. They become your weak link. You can do most everything you want with a Rear locker and an open diff up front. I ran Cliff hanger, gold bar rim, fins and things, and Hell's revenge in Moab taking all obstacles with only a rear locker and 37s. In case ya'll don't know. Eaton and Detroit merged so they are one in the same. Hence the new line of Eaton lockers.

To Top