1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I need a Rubicon?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by drain.glen.canyon, May 21, 2019.

1. May 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    drain.glen.canyon

drain.glen.canyon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Rubicon [?]
    Hello,

Well, the spousal budget committee has approved the purchase of a new Jeep. I've driven, but never owned a Wrangler before. Our intent is to use it for 4WD, high clearance trails/roads, but not for rock crawling.

I'm the sort that prefers to have equipment that is a bit over-capable for its intended purpose [decades of life as a structural engineer has taught me the value of a margin of safety], but I'm wondering if the the Jeep-verse out there thinks a Rubicon is overkill for the uses we anticipate.

Would really appreciate and experience/opinions you'd like to offer.

Thanks.

2. May 21, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @drain.glen.canyon ...the simple answer is every Wrangler is capable and a great platform to build up for the trails you expect to traverse. But if you have the budget the Rubi makes sense if you want the best prepped rig and don't plan on upgrading axles/lockers for example later. And it's not necessarily overkill because you don't have to turn those Rubi parts on to daily drive. The aftermarket is HUGE so it caters to everyone including upgrading the Rubi parts one would be unloading. LOL

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. May 21, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    Two kinds of engineers structural engineer build the targets. Mechanical engineers destroy them.

OK back to the jeep - The rubicon package although capable may be overpriced, maybe a lesser trim package with the right options, - locking or posi differentials, HD cooling and a trans cooler if an automatic trans, then look at a aftermarket winch for those forest trails.

A hard top - much better with AC and rain snow. Enough of the roof opens anyway - anyway an opening will leak - your an engineer you would know that. Do they still preach KISS? or is the mantra entirely MICAHI one will guide your selection.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. May 21, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 LJ
    Have you ever had a 4WD vehicle? Did you ever find yourself needing lockers? If not, then it’s not a big deal skipping out on the Rubicon trim. If yes, then get it.

Personally I’d still get the rubicon if it’s in your budget. The resale will be awesome.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. May 21, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    What about Civil Engineers?....asking for a friend.....:anonymous:

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. May 21, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    And Welcome to the site! :) From what I found when I first encountered the Wrangler, even the "lowest" level wrangler is more capable than I was. The Rubicon gives you more than any weekend off roader would ever need. Personally, I use the sway bar disconnect more than anything else. And I off road a decent amount. The lower levels allow you to save money, and/or put the money into options that would more benefit your lifestyle and tastes.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  7. May 21, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    If I had the credit/capital to buy a Rubi , my only decision then would be color. I would pull that trigger so fast I might sleep at the dealer while they made ready it.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  8. May 21, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Oh yeah welcome from Texas

9. May 21, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Can't you only get the Rubi transfer case in the Rubi? Thought it was not optional but standard equipment in the Rubi alone

10. May 21, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    The only option I would want to add to my Rubi would be the crawler transfer case in front of the Rubi transfer case.

11. May 21, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Correct. The Rubi is the only version that get the 4:1 transfer case

JKBob 25 and TJ_abuser[QUOTED] like this.
  12. May 21, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    Matic

Matic "Tricky Dick"

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2018 JLU Rubicon
    Bone stock
    You can find some really good deals on any left over "2018" JLU Rubicons if you aren't bothered by the whole "1st yr production run".

The way I went about it was that I wanted overkill (JLUR) but I wanted it stripped.
    All I wanted was nav.

No hardtop, no funky blind spot detectors, no upgraded wheels, no heated seats or wheel. Etc, etc.

These stripped down "18's" can be had for $43k with a 6yr/70k warranty all day long.
    If it's in the budget, I say go for it.

JKBob 25 and TJ_abuser like this.
  13. May 21, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    That's why I would buy a rubi

chris4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 22, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    drain.glen.canyon

drain.glen.canyon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Rubicon [?]
    Thanks to all who responded. To answer one of the questions posted, no, I've never owned a 4WD before. Also, and I understand the heresy in this, working on cars beyond oil changes is beyond my skill set. To quote Red Green, "A man's got to know his limitations".

I learned yesterday that one of my old Eagle Scouts and his lovely wife have a Rubicon. Their advise closely followed one of the posts in that they thought my intended use probably didn't call for lockers, but that we might like the sway bar disconnect [SBD]. Their view was the smoother ride with the SBD was worth it. As I understand it, the SBD only comes with the Rubicon package?

These kind folks offered to take us out on the trail and for a test drive and play around with the SBD. I'll let the Budget Committee decide if she thinks it's worth for ride smoothness.

One other question. Given that I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles, does anyone have any suggestions on after market add-ons and where to get them?

Thanks again.

DustStorm4x4 and Matic like this.
  15. May 22, 2019 at 5:14 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    The Rubicon sway bar disconnect is a neat convenience feature that disconnects the sway bar for better articulation while sitting in the Jeep. The downsides of this system like any electronic device are reported failures due to water intrusion, corrosion or electric component failure. Pretty spendy to replace so its great while it works. Less expensive though and slightly less convenient are manual quick disconnects. Check out this one vender as an example... quadratec.com

Matic likes this.
  16. May 22, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    Matic

Matic "Tricky Dick"

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2018 JLU Rubicon
    Bone stock
    I've never really noticed a difference in the ride quality with the sb disconnected. I do noticed that you gain some travel upfront. (How much? Idk)

Like most vehicles, the comfort level will increase with airing down the psi in tires while off road on trails. 38psi (recommended for 285/70/17) will beat you to death on a fairly bumpy/Rocky trail.

While 18-20 psi will feel like a caddy. You won't feel all the fist sized and smaller rocks/large gravel and such.

17. May 22, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16

Butt meter tells me otherwise on rocky trails. Passengers noticed less head-rocking too LOL

IMG_20180623_080918.jpg

chris4x4, boondoc89 and Matic[QUOTED] like this.
  18. May 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    @drain.glen.canyon
    I'm pulling for you, we are all in this together.
    If women don't find you handsome she should at least find you handy.

The electronic swaybar disconnects may be great but I wouldn't buy the Rubi just for that. You can get manual disconnects for cheap.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  19. May 22, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    You can buy some really nice sway bar quick disconnects for no where near the price of the electronic disconnect. But you just have to get out and disconnect them. It's super easy.

JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
To Top