1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Issue 2004 Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by Mike444, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Oct 28, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Mike444

Mike444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Grand Cherokee
    Hello Guys,

I seem to have a issue with my 2004 Grand Cherokee lately and I’m not exactly sure how to go about finding the solution. At this point I have to jump the battery each day that I drive the vehicle. There seems to be a “pull” on the battery which is maybe a year or so in age. It starts up with the jump pack fine every time and can start again if it’s left for less than 10 minutes. I tried driving it around for almost an hour, but the next day it would not turn over. What’s the best way to go about finding the area which is causing this issue?

2. Oct 28, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Stop by local Advance/Autozone for free battery checkup. They have a device that will put a load on the battery and get a relative reading on battery condition. They can also check the charging system

LYFZGOOD likes this.
  3. Oct 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    Definitely start with a free alt battery test at auto zone HEY its FREE
    But issue sounds like battery is draining - called a parasitic draw in the trade.

What is your comfort level with a test light, DVOM, and wiring diagrams?

TIP- any added electric device something not on the jeep when built is first suspect, audio, lighting, winch, something plugged into DLC. do the free test and let us know.

aggrex likes this.
  4. Oct 31, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    glassport

glassport Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 grand cherokee limited, 4.7
    none
    An easy way to find draw is hook up a meter in series with battery, set for amps, see what your draw is and start pulling fuses and watch for draw to drop. Pull one fuse at a time, check draw, replace fuse before you pull next fuse. Pull fuse watch draw, when it drops, what ever fuse you pull is the circuit with short. follow that circuit until you find problem.

Mike444[OP], LYFZGOOD and aggrex like this.
To Top