1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine build code information needed to replace starter/flywheel

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by cutlasscharlie, May 11, 2020.

1. May 11, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    cutlasscharlie

cutlasscharlie [OP] New Member

Member:
    1987 Jeep Wrangler engine code number is 802C17
    I have a technical question. Does anyone have any Jeep engine build date information? I have an 87 (possibly with an 88 engine) Wrangler YJ. 4.2L 6 Cylinder engine. The build date code stamped on the right side of the engine block is 802C17.

According to what I have found on the internet, the first number is the year, which looks to me like the engine was built in 88 and not 87 like the rest of the Jeep. The 2 is supposed to be the month it was built. The position where the C is should be two letters, but I only have one letter. The 17 is supposed to be the day of the month it was built.

I have been going through starters and I just went through a $300 Mean Green starter. I have compared the part numbers for 1987 starters and 1988 starters. They are different.

The "original starter,", i.e. the starter in the vehicle when we purchased it used, worked fin with no noises. It stopped working and wouldn't crank, so we knew we needed a new starter. When the original starter went out, I naturally replaced it with a starter for an 87. The new one made horrible grinding noises. I tried several and the flywheel became damaged. I took off the flywheel and replaced it with a flywheel using the part number on the flywheel
    ( 3236259-A1). Incidentally, the new flywheel matched the original perfectly. I had no reason to doubt the build date of the engine at that point and I feel somewhat confident that the flywheel was correct as it matched the prior one.

Things didn't get much better and I went through several more starters. I received recommendations from several people to buy a Mean Green starter from Quadratec. It was for an 87. There was still a slight grinding noise, but it was minimal. I haven't driven the Jeep much, and now this starter is not connecting with the flywheel. It turns, but the gear doesn't connect. The flywheel appears to be slightly damaged once again.

After checking the Jeep forums , I found out where the engine build date is stamped. Now I am questioning if the engine was made for an 87 or an 88 because the build date stamp is 802C17.

I am going to have to replace the flywheel again and the starter. I think may have been putting 87 parts on an 88 engine all this time.

I need to know for sure what year this engine was built. If anyone can help me in confirming the year this engine was built, I would truly appreciate it as it would help me get the right parts.

To Top