1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fathers Hemi Swapped XJ

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Wile E. Coyote, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Aug 15, 2021 at 5:25 AM
    Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have not posted to this forum often, but with how rare these swaps are I wanted to post this here.

In my last lost post I discussed my fathers 91 Comanche Sport truck that I was searching for. I stil have yet to aquire it. But in the meantime we have been working on one of the shells hes had around.
    Screenshot_20210815-075925~2.jpg

This truck started life as a 4.0 HO, 5 Speed, 2wd. Obviously not for wheeling, so my father started using it for drag racing. In its quickest state with the 4.0 it was able to run a 13.8. Screenshot_20210815-075908~2.jpg

Obviously that couldnt last forever and due to multiple issues the Jeep was put into storage in 09.

We decided a couple years ago to break it back out and do something with it. We decided to V8 swap it, and decided to go 5.7 Hemi.
    IMG_20210815_081928.jpg
    As you could imagine it was a tight fit.

We had to make our own motor mounts, trans cross member, "headers" (tubular log manifolds), a more Im forgetting.

Took a couple years, but we were able to get the truck running and driving in time for Roadkill Nights in Pontiac MI. It had been running for 4 days and its first drive was to the show.
    20210814_131737_HDR.jpg
    Tune still needs work and it has some vibrations we need to figure out, but we plan to have it back at the track next season.

Specs are:
    03 ram 5.7(lightly worked heads, comp 274 cam, modman intake, MSD ignition and Summit MaxEFI, full rebuild otherwise).
    Turbo 400 (2500 stall convertor, B&M shift kit, rebuilt by local shop).
    Ford 8.8 (ladder bars, moser axles, 4.10s, mini spool).

Groundfault, aggrex and LYFZGOOD like this.
  2. Aug 15, 2021 at 6:58 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Wow what an awesome build with fabrication skills to make this all happen! Learn something everyday as turbo 400s are usually hooked up to GM motors. Stellantis (new owner of Jeep) needs to resurrect the tight+light XJ body and discard all the other crap they make today.

3. Aug 15, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Finding a transmission adapter for the TH400 was the biggest hang up. Ended up going with a mid plate adapter made by ATI and cut the excess off.

In between finding it we thought of going with a 727 but couldnt find any small block versions. I personally wanted a manual but spending 5k on the transmission by itself was off the table, and couldnt think of any others that would fit and handle its potential power.

We have learned a lot having to do with Fab with this project. What we want to do next is convert to an IFS. The solid axle is a worry because its very close to the pan, especially since its not lifted. Since it pulled the wheels with the 4.0 we imagine itll go higher, and we dont want to have the constant risk of smashing the oil pan while we dial in the suspension.

4. Aug 15, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
    Well done. V8 swaps definitely have their challenges. Milodon makes a low profile baffled sump oil pan for the 5.7 that might give you some extra clearance and help with oil sloshing, but IFS would eliminate clearance issue.
    Looks like something I could get in a lot of trouble with:)

To Top