1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FCA + Renault potential merger of equals?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by aggrex, May 29, 2019.

1. May 29, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    aggrex

aggrex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    The combined companies of FCA-Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi would be huge but I'm concerned with what becomes of the Jeeps we long for. IMO better hang onto your Jeep a lot tighter tonight and every night as these two companies with questionable build quality are in serious talk to merge. I'm hoping for a spinoff of Jeep/Ram to a better matched company.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-27/auto-shares-surge-fiat-renault-confirm-merger-talks
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/renault-and-fiat-chrysler-merger-proposed/
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/fiat-chrysler-renault-merge-jeep-51559054686
    http://fortune.com/2019/05/28/fiat-chrysler-renault-merger-electric/

im-77451.jpg

2. May 30, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    It is my opinion and surely worth as much as any opinion. The jeep brand has been problematic and all attempts to save it so far have been disappointing. Chrysler's purchase of jeep was a life line and saved the iconic brand. I believe the Dialmer-Benz merger that saved Chrysler was an attempt to separate the jeep brand and incorporate jeep into the MB family*. The iconic jeep name was wanted in the MB line up and Land Rover was the target.
    Now the jeep is lost in the hi volume sales culture and trending to heated seats, Grand Cherokee is a Land Rover wanna be, a jeep Compass and Cherokee all diminishes the iconic 'utility' and ruggedness we all associate with jeep.

What will become of jeep the American icon in a large corporation based overseas with models aimed at the world market, shared platforms, shared engines, I worry also.

BUT on a good thought Harley Davidson survived the same pressures. Yes it is also going to have the same
    problems, a segment specific sales target and marketing group, volume/price/cost issues.

* I could not see what MB wanted, surely not Plymouth or dodge, Manufacturing capacity They have and could build more modern plants easy. Which of the Chrysler brands ever shared a MB engine - a NEON ?

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. May 30, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Isn't this the same conversation that is had every time there has been a merger/buyout that involves Jeep?
    "The new company is going to destroy the Jeep brand"... seems like they are doing pretty well at the moment.
    Between Ram and Jeep they are the only two things propping FCA up at the moment.
    Renault was "involved" with Jeep before, but that still didn't end well for AMC.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. May 30, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    You are correct, the march is a troubled path and I wonder how long the beloved icon will be kept.

This talk of jeep and ram (dodge) is a marriage made in marketing - surely there is no love of an American pick up world wide, but jeep name is different.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. Jun 1, 2019 at 8:59 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    I'm extremely curious how this all pans out.
    Just an after thought.. AMF did not save Harley Davidson, IMO. The AMF bikes were the worst bikes, in several ways. Harley had the misfortune of putting their name on. H-D saved themselves. And AMF made them up their game. And H-D did. They brought Harley back from the brink of their own distruction. AMF just funded it.. And they bought out AMF as soon as they could. If they didn't.. Harley Davidson would not exist today as we all know the brand...And bikes.

Again....curious how this all works out....

6. Jun 2, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    I think the largest hurdle they are battling is the MPG battle. Future increases in MPG don't bode well for a vehicle that's shaped like a box. I think the Jeep will stay the course as it is, and for as long as it can.

7. Jun 2, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    Renault is a terrible car maker since the 80's they can do what they want I have my Jeep. I can keep it on the road the rest of my life anyway

8. Jun 7, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    aggrex

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Well it seems there won't be a mega merger yet! There was significant tension behind the scenes among the companies and French state over whom would have the greatest influence and control of the mega company. Interesting read on the unraveling of this merger of equals.

https://www.autonews.com/executives/how-fiat-renault-merger-deal-died

https://www.autonews.com/automakers...aws-renault-merger-offer-blaming-french-state

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...renault-s-failure-exposes-lots-of-ugly-truths

Prerunner1982 likes this.
  9. Jun 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    aggrex

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
  10. Jun 7, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    Fiat = f#$*ing Italian automotive trash

To Top