1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel gauge not working on a 79 CJ7

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Frisco, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jul 8, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Frisco

Frisco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1979 cj7 golden eagle
    I currently own a 1950 cj3a and a 1979 cj 7 . The fuel and temp have never worked and both have been replaced with no improvement. My question is the temp gauge uses 5 volts does the fuel use 5 volt or 12 volt. I have 1 amp 5 volt regulators that could be used to power the temp gauge and if the fuel gauge requires 5 volts a second regulator could be used. I would like the temp to work the fuel at this point is optional. (I can still walk or write down the mileage)

2. Jul 31, 2023 at 11:16 PM
    MBC

MBC MBC

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernest
    Fort Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    79 CJ 97 TJ 06 TJ
    A little bit of everything.
    I feel like all fuel gushed can run on 12v. I’ve done other gas tanks and there’s a way to ground out the sensor to see if it’s getting voltage. Then diagnose the sender or the gauge.

3. Aug 11, 2023 at 6:37 PM
    Hbomb

Hbomb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Vehicle:
    1979 CJ5
    Typically with fuel sending units, the sending unit is the ground and the change in the resistance dictate full or empty.
    if you take the wire off of the sending unit the gauge needle will bury past full and ground it to a good ground and it will go to empty, if my memory serves me correctly. So if your gauge is getting power and not faulty, this method will isolate the problem and tell you if its a faultily sending unit or not. Hope this helps
    You can also use ohm meter and test the sending unit and see if the resistance changes an you move the arm of the sending unit up and down.

To Top