1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Injector Rebuild Kits

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by Jeepjoc, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jan 2, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    Jeepjoc

Jeepjoc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Albertville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1995 YJ Wrangler Rio Grande
    Anyone have any recommendations for fuel injector rebuild kits???

2. Jan 2, 2018 at 7:38 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Nope......Lol. Hey where's OFFGRID.......Oh, last I heard. Headin to Moab....so jealous. :annoyed:
    Hang tight dude. I'm sure help is on the way.

chris4x4 likes this.
  3. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Didn't make it to Moab. Weather just too bad to get there. Will have to wait till Spring break.

I have not had to do that yet. I have bought TBI rebuild kits from Oreillys. They are my go to over any other store.

chris4x4 and JKBob 25 like this.
  4. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Jeepjoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Albertville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Here's my problem which I'm thinking may be related to fuel injectors either being dirty or o-rings or connectors or just generally being tired.
    I'm getting an occasional check engine light followed by a short period of rough running, like on only three cylinders but that seems to go away as I increase the engine speed. Then I can switch the engine off which resets the check engine light and I'm okay for a while before it repeats. When checking the fault codes, I'm getting a 27 (fuel injector control) and a 15 (distance sensor or circuit).
    I'm thinking about sending all four injectors off to be rebuilt as the cost is somewhat reasonable and I bet the injectors have never been serviced for a twenty three year old vehicle. Any thoughts???

5. Jan 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I'm not sure what your cost on rebuilding them is, but Geekparts.com has rebuilt for $30each and new for $37each. I'm sure you already checked the local stores which run around $60each. I would like to know where you are getting them rebuilt and how much it is costing you? I did not know that there was an option for rebuilding them. Thanks for the info. I just did a search and there is lots of information on rebuilding them yourself, and it looks like an easy job.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  7. Jan 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    Jeepjoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Albertville, AL
    Vehicle:
    There's a company in Dalton Gardens, ID who rebuilds gasoline fuel injectors only. Ya carefully package them up and send them off to him and after a three or four day turn around ya get back a basically brand new set of injectors, all for $17.50 each.Check out his website at www.mrinjector.us. I'm thinkin' I will give him a try as it sure can't hurt anything.

Cheers - Jeepjoc

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  8. Feb 17, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    Jeepjoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Albertville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I pulled and sent my injectors off to the guy mentioned above. Got them back in the mail yesterday late in the day so I fitted them this AM. Just returned from a test drive and It was like I got a brand new Jeep Wrangler YJ. It was much smoother and responsive than before and the idle was almost perfect. And, no more CEL. Woo hoo!!!! Mr Injector also provided a "flow report". I couldn't be more pleased with the results of sending those injectors off to be serviced. While I was waiting for them to come back, I did do some other things that were obvious that needed to be done. I removed the throttle body and cleaned thoroughly inside and out, fitted a new gasket and removed the idle sensor and cleaned it as well. Cleaned out the injector ports on both the gas rail and the head, fitted new clips on the gas lines. Those are all things that most likely should be done from time to time anyway but I'm convinced they helped in the improved performance.

Cheers - Jeepjoc

JKBob 25, aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  9. Feb 17, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Sweet dude. Followed this post. Learned me a few things. Thanks for the update.
    Awesome when your Jeep is happy huh dude!!!. Good to see you and your Jeep are happy again. Awesome educational post. :).

10. Feb 18, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Great job. I also learned some things. Thanks for updating us.

11. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    Jeepjoc

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Albertville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Interesting thing happened yesterday (03/22/2018). My wife and I took off in the YJ and didn't get but a couple of blocks away from home when we got some rough running and a CEL. Took the YJ back home and fumed about it for nearly a full day. I had just recently replaced all the injectors with newly refurbished ones so I checked that possibility off my list of suspects. I did get the fault codes and one of those was #27, "fuel injector control". Then I remembered something. Only a day or so before, I had stopped to fill it up with gasoline and it was just after that that my problems started. Knowing that the fuel system is pressurized on the YJ, I decided to check the fuel filler cap. Sure enough, it was not tight so I tightened it up and "bingo", she runs like new again. I was not getting sufficient fuel to where it was needed.

aggrex and JKBob 25 like this.
  12. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Ya know what. I had the same problem with my old XJ. First time it happened, my first jeep. I took it to the dealer cause the engine light came on too. They charged me 100 bucks and couldn't tell me what the issue was when I asked. The next time it happened I called a different dealer. And they told me to check the cap. Sure enough. Wasn't screwed in properly. So every time after that i got gas. I checked the cap. You'd be surprised how many station attendants fuck it up.

Another lesson learned @Jeepjoc. :thumbsup:

To Top