1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Here for the fun and frolic

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Radar78CJ5, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Sep 18, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    Radar78CJ5

Radar78CJ5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Vehicle:
    1978 CJ5, shell for now. Start of build
    Making roadworthy driver. Plans to replace T18 with more civil 4 speed. V8, probably Chevy for cost reasons.
    Hello from Illinois, land of road salt and rusty jeeps. I've got one. It's been on my bucket list since I had a Jeep matchbox at 7. And now at 54 I finally have the real thing... and still have the matchbox. It's not a complete real jeep. More of a shell waiting to get filled up. According to the VIN, this 78 should have a 4 speed, and that will make it have much better road manners than the T81 3spd that came with it. That will likely end up in the for sale forum to be used by mudders and rock crawlers. My jeep (my wife has named it radar because of its drab spray paint green) is for weekend jaunts and playing around. It's a replacement for my motorcycle which departed this spring following the loss of my right leg last year. I told my wife I'd sell the bike if I replaced it with a jeep. Then she started saying she wanted a jeep. I got my project a month or so ago, and she got her 2018 JL last weekend. Funny how that works. This is the first forum I've joined for jeeps. I hope the build doesn't take as long as my VW projects. Fingers crossed and we'll wait and see.

20210917_155224.jpg

Bob, Jeep4Life and aggrex like this.
  2. Sep 19, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @Radar78CJ5 …that will be an interesting rebuild thread. Look forward to the weekly progress

3. Sep 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
    Love those CJ's. Always glad to see another one saved. Looking forward to seeing photo of the resurrection.

4. Sep 20, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    Jeep4Life

Jeep4Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    She's completely naked! Your gonna have fun with that, and get dirty doing it. :)

Welcome aboard from Florida!

5. Sep 20, 2021 at 3:04 PM
    Radar78CJ5

Radar78CJ5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Vehicle:
    1978 CJ5, shell for now. Start of build
    Making roadworthy driver. Plans to replace T18 with more civil 4 speed. V8, probably Chevy for cost reasons.
    Thanks a lot. I have been looking online and keeping an eye out. This one has good bones. Solid frame and the body problems aren't beyond my scope (fingers crossed) I own an upholstery and trim shop in Illinois and have done restoration work in the past. My goal is keeping costs down while I make a fun cruiser for my wife and I. I'm not a mud blogger or rock climber. I just want to go top less on the weekends and enjoy a nice sunny day.

To Top