1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horn not working (Clockspring, Wiring harness, TIPM replaced)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Stillmacrae, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Sep 1, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    Stillmacrae

Stillmacrae [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU Rubicon Recon
    So I've seen a lot of these post up and about on different forums but I'm looking for advice. I have a 2018 Rubicon Recon. Problems started probably within the first 3 months of owning the Jeep. I noticed that the Horn would not function, then I noticed that the steering wheel radio buttons would not function (volume, station channel) also the Uconnect buttons would not work, dash menu buttons (speedometer, tire pressure etc switch). The cruise control buttons still work. Jeep went to the dealer, they told me it was the clock spring, they replaced it and driving away I discovered the problem was still not fixed. I took the jeep back and after working on it they told me it was the wiring harness that went to the steering wheel and after replacing it and assuring me everything was working correctly I picked up the jeep, this time tested it before leaving the lot, still didn't work. So on the third time I brought it back they told me I had a bad TIPM unit but that it was on back order and they'd let me know when it came in. About a month later I got a call, they replaced the TIPM unit and again as soon as I got the Jeep I tested the controls and horn (which they assured me were working) and it still was not working. When the problem first started it was intermittent. After the jeep sat a while (overnight) it would not work... but after driving it for a bit the horn and volume switches would start functioning again. The problem has been getting worse though and now it hasn't worked for the past 3 weeks. The guys at the dealer say they are at a loss and don't know what the problem is. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh also the horn DOES still function... meaning if you hit the panic button the horn goes off. If you lock the jeep with the key fob the horn will go off, but it doesn't work when pressing the horn.

2. Sep 1, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! Great choice in the JK Recon but too bad about the issues. Be sure to document all the service dates, receipts, service manager names as it should not end with them at a loss to fix the problem. Report the issue you are experiencing to FCA for guidance. I would try another FCA service department since the current one is at a loss for the issue.

3. Sep 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    Stillmacrae

Stillmacrae [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU Rubicon Recon
    With the exception of this issue I'm absolutely loving it. Thanks for the reply I will certainly do that, good suggestion.

4. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site! sorry to hear about the issue. Are they giving any ideas as to what they are going to do?

5. Sep 3, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    Stillmacrae

Stillmacrae [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU Rubicon Recon
    No not yet. I was told I’d be called Saturday or today and nothing yet so I guess I’ll call them tomorrow. I wanted to give them time. But this is getting ridiculous. I looked up the customer service/complaint line for FCA. If I don’t get a good answer from the dealer I may give them a call. The pain is the dealer is so busy and scheduled that whenever they come up with a new idea I have to wait 2+ weeks to get an appointment, only to have them “fix it” then not work and I have to wait again for a new appointment. I’ve been trying to be patient because they’re the only dealership within an hour. I want to have a good relationship so they honor warrenty. But this really should have been fixed by now and it seriously makes me question the quality of their mechanics. Obviously electrical isn’t their strong point.

6. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    Stillmacrae

Stillmacrae [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU Rubicon Recon
    UPDATE.........................

So I talked to the service guy today and he said that basically all of their guys are stumped. They have talked to Chrysler and replaced all the things they were told to replace. He said there is a tech adviser that will be at the dealership on Friday. I guess he's supposed to be really good and usually can figure stuff out when no one else can. He is going to talk to the Tech adviser and call me by noon on Friday and then we'll go from there. I'm half tempted to bring it to a reputable non dealer service department just to have them trouble shoot it, then bring it back to the dealership and say... oh hey, did you guys thing to check this?

7. Sep 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Probably not good for non-fca techs touching stuff yet. Replacement parts or installation should be scrutinized too.

8. Sep 5, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Stillmacrae

Stillmacrae [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU Rubicon Recon
    Right I kinda though about it that, maybe there was a problem with the part they were replacing it with. Not likely but possible. You're probably right about non FCA techs touching stuff. I'll wait and see.but I hope they come up with a fix soon. I might still look at another dealer if this one keeps having issues.

chris4x4 likes this.
  9. Sep 24, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    Stillmacrae

Stillmacrae [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU Rubicon Recon
    UPDATE.................. FIXED

So took it back the 4th time. Initially I got a call saying that it was the clock spring and it had a short. I told them that the clock spring was the first thing that was replaced. They said they were going to replace it anyways... When they started to tear into it they discovered the issue was with some wiring that went to the clock-spring but not the clock-spring it's self, nor the wiring harness that they previously replaced. Picked up my jeep today and everything is working as it should be.

aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  10. Sep 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Thanks for the update!

To Top