1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Instrument Cluster Acting Weird

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by superdives, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Aug 17, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    superdives

superdives [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daryl
    Vehicle:
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    ok, I am a weekend car hack and know enough to be dangerous .. but I have an issue that I just can’t figure out and looking for someone smarter than me for ideas, tips or suggestions.

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee 4.0L V6 that runs like a champ. 130k miles and running strong. The issue is that the instrument gauges start up fine, but dies after 3-5 seconds. The car runs fine, but instrument gauges don’t work. Sometimes while driving it will just magically start working, and then will die again .... BUT, if I turn the key slightly to the right while the car is still running (before engaging the starter), the instrument cluster will work as long as I keep the key turned beyond the “start” position. I tried replacing the ignition cluster at the steering column and the ignitioon cylinder .. but no luck. Any thoughts out there???

2. Aug 17, 2019 at 6:50 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    No paradise by the dash board lights? thats serious after seeing companion in photo

My first thought is ignition SWITCH... clear up did you replace cylinder or switch?

1997 W SRS.jpg

3. Aug 17, 2019 at 7:55 AM
    superdives

superdives [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daryl
    Vehicle:
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    I replaced both the cylinder and switch. (That was my thought as well. I bought both parts from Amazon, but didn’t see any changes in results).

Somehow, when I turn the key slightly to the right (and hold it there) when the car is running, the gauges work .. except the radio turns off. The fact that the instrument panel works when originally started, and then goes out almost immediately once the car is running .. lead me to believe that there may be two forms of power being supplied to the instrument panel. Is it possible that Power Source ONE occurs when the starter is engaged at original startup, and Power Source TWO occurs once the car is running? I feel like the problem is in The second power source failing (from my amateurs opinion) is failing which is why the instrument panel works if i turn the key to the right once started.

Could it be the ECM?

4. Aug 18, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
    I really doubt the ecm is involved. You might consider a wiring diagram from an outfit like Prospero's Garage, although I know the Jeep Grand is a wiring nightmare. At least you know just where the problem could be.

To Top