1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interior lights go on and off until battery dies

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by 97 Grand Cherokee, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Jun 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    97 Grand Cherokee

97 Grand Cherokee [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok sorry this may have been answered before but I've looked everywhere. 97 Grand Cherokee courtesy lights will come on 5 to 10 mins after I shut the car off for a few seconds then go off. It repeats this process until it kills the battery or I pull fuse. I checked all wires for shorts. Checked all door switch checked all fuses. No door ajar on VIC. Everything else on the vehicle works perfect just interior lights going on and off....BCM maybe??? I'm done chasing things. About to just pull fuse and go with no inside lights......

2. Jun 26, 2018 at 1:59 PM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    You might pop the hatch and push the dome light switch to turn the interior lights off, as if you were sitting in the back with the hatch open.
    Does it have keyless entry?

Welcome to Jeeps.net.

3. Jun 26, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    97 Grand Cherokee

Member:
    Yea I've tried the hatch light. That was my first go to. Yea it does have a fob

4. Jun 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! Pulling the interior bulbs out is the ez way to solve the issue :) but perhaps one or more of the door switches have become defective or worn or dirty resulting in intermittent sticking. On one of my older vehicles the door switch sticks OFF intermittently until I clean out the sticky gunk.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  5. Jun 26, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    97 Grand Cherokee

Member:
    Thanks for the welcoming. All door switch are good including the hatch. Just thought I would try here to see if I could get some more ideas before I started tearing out bulbs and fuses.

6. Jun 26, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    97 Grand Cherokee

Member:
    I can set my watch to them going on and off. Going back to the start. Jeep is a daily driver the wife went out to go to work,dead battery she also said the defrost button and light we're flashing repetitive. It's been really hot here and it's a old battery. So I had alternator check it's good. determined that I needed a battery. Proceeded to install new battery. Was finishing up when I looked up and noticed that the courtesy lights were on, then 5sec. Later off. Then 8 mins later on.....after checking all of the obvious....this is where im at.

To Top