1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep feels unsafe and squirrely

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HardHat420, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Dec 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    HardHat420

HardHat420 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Do you guys think it may be because my shocks are upside down?

2. Dec 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    Blue Baby Sound

Blue Baby Sound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    All the world's indeed a stage And we are merely players Performers and portrayers Each another's audience Outside the gilded cage
    Build threads in sig
    Can't put them upside down, top and bottom mount differently.

JKBob 25, acerwin and chris4x4 like this.
  3. Dec 23, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Guys I'm suspecting these guys installed a 6 inch lift instead of the 4" I asked for.

4. Dec 23, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Also the front axle is forward. My sway bar reaches the coil.

20171223_105807.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. Dec 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    definitely looks like you need some adjustments. i would contact RC and talk to them about your concerns. The company who installed your lift should also bare the responsibility in getting your ride right. How much thread do you have on the lower heims on the lower control arms. You don't need to pull that axle back much to clear the spring. Less than an inch. Where are you located?

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Dec 23, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>

Subscribed as my MC lift includes relocation brackets for the shocks. Bit surprised the installers/techs didn't notice the proximity of the sway bar to the spring as a potential added issue. Hope final torqued bolts resolves your issues.

7. Dec 24, 2017 at 2:18 AM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    In el paso tx.

Here's a pic of the thread on the front long arm.

20171223_185413.jpg

20171223_105835.jpg

8. Dec 24, 2017 at 3:18 AM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Guys here has been my experience with the place that installed my lift.

They:

- did not return my original Rubicon suspension that only had about 9k miles on em.

- did not return my teraflex leveling kit.

- did not return my teraflex quick disconnects.

- did not give me the extra set of sway bar links I purchased.

- did not install the RC base for the new sway bar links.

- did not install the bump stops front or rear.

- did not install the RC brake line base, which is causing the lines to pull the boots off the shocks and to snag in between the coils.

- did not repaint where they cut to prevent rust.

- did not tighten any of the control arms

- did not tighten any of the steering components

- did not adjust the control arms properly as evidenced by the front axle being pushed forward.

- did not do an alignment before delivery of the vehicle. I had to ask for an alignment after the steering wheel was turned 90 degrees to the left and I couldn't turn left. That is how my jeep was delivered telling me it drove great.

- left the sway bar rubbing against and damaging the new coils.

- installed only 3 boots. One was missing in the back, which screams that there is something wrong just by glancing at it.

- and I haven't confirmed this one but I suspect they installed 6" springs rather than 4." This would explain why the stance is so narrow and I just spent $100 on spacers. Not to mention all the other things it would explain like the crappy ride and why it towers over other 4" RC lifts.

And - I just got home from having it towed. The steering wheel turned 45 degrees left and I couldn't turn left, again. Had to wait 2+ hours for a tow truck in freezing weather.

What do you guys think I should do here?

Calling RC is on my to-do list first thing Tuesday am to brag about my experience with my first lift and hope that they understand this is what keeps customers from returning to the same place/brand.

Shop will reopen on Tuesday as well.

I appreciate any ideas.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  9. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:35 AM
    Blue Baby Sound

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    All the world's indeed a stage And we are merely players Performers and portrayers Each another's audience Outside the gilded cage
    Build threads in sig
    Call the shop, call RC, hopefully between the two they can get you taken care of. Stinks that you're having issues, sounds like they should have done a better job.

That said, I'm going to give some tough love here; if you pick one of the cheapest lifts, then go with the lowest bid for install, your chances of having a great riding Jeep are slim to none. This is one area you do NOT want to skimp! Prior to purchase you had another thread asking about lifts and most everyone told you to stay away from RC. Quality components and quality install will give you years of a great riding Jeep. Cheap out and you'll regret it every time you turn the key. I'm sorry to kick you while you're down, we've all been there and it's how we learn. I just hope you learn from this experience.

Again, sorry to be blunt. I hope the shop does the right thing and takes care of you!!!

JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  10. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:43 AM
    Blue Baby Sound

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Build threads in sig
    Also, where are you located. If you're anywhere near Tulsa I'd be glad to help. Maybe you're close to someone here on the forum that can help out??

HardHat420[OP] and JKBob 25 like this.
  11. Dec 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    I hear ya.

The thing is that the reviews for both the kit and the shop were positive.

Additionally I spoke with people who actually own the kit and are happy with it. Only one made a negative comment and that was that the ride was a little stiff. Everyone agreed tho that it is a good kit and excellent for off-road.

Yes this forum did comment negatively about RC. But there were very positive comments when speaking with actual owners.

The shop also has good reviews. It's a small shop with a bunch of guys from bigger chain stores who opened up they're own shop so when speaking with them they sound pretty knowledgeable. They've been open for 2 years and have a good 50 reviews with 4.7 stars. In comparison 4 wheel parts AND center are in the 2 and 3 star categories around here.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't jump on the cheapest kit at the cheapest shop. It wasn't easy to pull the trigger but the reviews for both the shop and kit were positive. The kit seemed to offer what I wanted and the shop wasn't that much cheaper than bigger chain stores. It did however have better reviews than other lift shops.

12. Dec 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Thanks man I appreciate you.

I'm in el paso tx. Doubt too many people from ep are here tho.

13. Dec 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Some folks can give positive feedback on things they purchase so they don't feel like they blow a bunch of money on something that's worse, or not what they expected.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  14. Dec 24, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Pitman arm was loose. Explains the squirreliness.

It is a 6" lift. Explains why it looks so narrow.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  15. Dec 24, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    What would have happened if the pitman came off on the highway?

16. Dec 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Have you ever been pushed in a wagon and let go of the handle?

JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  17. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Yes and that doesn't sound like something pleasant going at highway speeds in between an 18 wheeler and a concrete barrier.

That is so scary man I can think of several times my life was at risk. I have almost an hour commute to/from work all highway.

18. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:37 PM
    HardHat420

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    We torqued the pitman to specs with locktite and it is a night and day difference.

It still has a bit of residual squirreliness tho and the steering wheel continues to alternate between being centered and being slightly turned to either side.

I'm hoping that's due to my front axle being pushed forward. Perhaps all the arms need adjustment at this point.

19. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:16 PM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Not sure what you mean by looking narrow, but a 4in and a 6in lift will be the same width unless your just talking appearance of height vs width. The axle being pushed out isn't necessarily a bad thing. A 6in lift over a 4inch lift won't push the axle out further. It just needs adjusted. What will push the axle way out is useing 4in springs with 6in control arms. and I know guys it do this for the stretch. Just tighten up those control arms and see if it gives you enough clearance. As far as the squirrelly handling, I think you need to go back and loosen and rr-tighten and re-torque everything that shop touched. This will help your steering I bet. You really need to get with that shop, and get all of your old stuff back, as well as have them correct anything they ahve done wrong. I hope you paid with a credit card, so you have a little room for recourse on stopping payment etc. Any money you have to spend getting the jeep right, you can try to take it back to the shop have them reimburse you and if not threaten a lawsuit. I think I would talk to the Top dog there first and get his take. I have to agree with BBS. I have learned where there is smoke there is fire and I have never owned a RC lift myself, but I have heard way to many complaints to go down that road. Good luck and Merry Christmas. I'll be driving through EP on my way to Moab first week of the year. I'm going to do my first snow wheeling. Moab just got 18inches of snow. It never snows there.

aggrex and JKBob 25 like this.
  20. Dec 25, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Here is a friend of mine's jeep in Moab. Her swaybar is tilted up out of the way of the spring. I know it is aftermarket, but this may be how yours should look. I have a teraflex quick disconnect bar. I'll shoot a picture of it next time I go out to the shop.
    25627102_10212500705207350_6819072439966_90402ae5554638e86a2b0e4f9541005742dda9eb.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top