1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep Liberty Not Starting and other electrical issues

Discussion in 'Liberty' started by jessethan, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    jessethan

jessethan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Jeep Liberty
    After market alarm system
    My 2009 Jeep Liberty was purchased in 2012 with an after market alarm system that was very touchy and had an abnormally loud and obnoxious alarm. In 2015, an ex-car mechanic and I cut the alarm's cord. It made the alarm sound "normal", but did not fix its sensitivity.

Around that time the windshield wipers started going off randomly without my permission, and dashboard lights would sometimes illuminate.

A few days ago my car would not start. When turning the key in the ignition, a cranking sound was heard. I got it towed to pep boys, who installed a new starter. After installation, the car was working normally, said pep boys. I picked it up, got in my car to drive home, but the issue remained. Pep boys kept it for another day and called me to say they could not figure it out.

I then took it to a Jeep dealership, and they said the car is working normally. After telling them the history of electrical issues, they suggested replacing the "tipn" (spelling?) a sort of hub of controlling these issues.

Does anyone have insight on tipn, or have had similar issues to what I have described?

Thanks,
    Jesse

2. Feb 27, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    TIPM, Totally Integrated Power Module,
    Description
    DESCRIPTION
    [​IMG]

All of the electrical current distributed throughout this vehicle is directed through the Totally Integrated Power Module
    google TIPM for some info.

WIPER problem is classic TIPM issue.

aggrex and Bob like this.
  3. Mar 3, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    That sounds expensive awrench

4. Mar 3, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @jessethan ! Based off your symptoms and random malfunctions the TIPM is highly suspect. The TIPM is used in all late model Chrysler products and it works it seamlessly distributing commands or signals from various modules but when it fails some symptoms similar to what you have experienced: power window fail, wiper/headlight fail, stalling ETC, ETC. Remanufactured TIPM part can range from $300-600 but the labor to replace could be more.
    Too bad PepBoys condemned the starter....

To Top