1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JK Hard Top

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Sand Flea, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Aug 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    Sand Flea

Sand Flea [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’ve driven my 2014 Rubicon for 5 years with a soft top. I live in Northwest Fl and have made at least one trip to Texas or Utah to off road each year. My soft top was a bit noisy on the Interstate and I got a fair amount of trail dust inside the jeep but I did like the flip up front section. Problem was there was no easy way to carry canoes or kayaks. I looked at racks but between wind noise, installing them on some rear bumpers, and appearance I decide to go with a hard top. The Mopar stock top looked good, a bit expense unless you can find a good deal on a used one, but you have to take the freedom panels off and store them. You can’t just pop them open on the move like the soft top. Adding an aftermarket soft top system to replace the freedom panels is expensive.

So I started looking at other hardtops, Black Dog, Smittybilt , DV8 and Bull Dawg. Bull Dawg sells directly to jeep owners thru their internet site. The company, located in Chattanooga, has been making tops for Jeeps since 2002. Its not a big company but it's not a mom and pop garage. They are one part of a family of companies that make Optimist Sail boats and specialized fiberglass products as well.

The website, https://www.bulldawgmfg.com, has a lot information and pictures. The tops are offered for TJ and JK’s with a lot of options. Sun roof, two types of side windows that open, several colors of tops and roof racks.

Between the the site and online reviews I decided to order a top. I called and talked to Mike Sherman who runs the combined companies production. The Jeep Tops are “his baby” to check availability and option details. The top I wanted was was available and I ordered it with sunroof and roof rack in black with the grey interior. Instead of delivery I drove to Chattanooga and they removed my soft top and installed the hard top for $100. In less than two hours I was on the way back to Florida. The only trouble I had was I24 thru Chattanooga traffic. From order to installation was less than a week.

Mikes people did a great job, installation include soft top removal and all hard top installation parts. They even strapped my soft top to the roof rack. Fit and finish is outstanding. The fiberglass top incorporates structural elements that will support a lot of weight.

I’ve driven over 600 miles with the new top on freeways , surface roads, and off road since I got the top, it is quiet, no vibration, and after setting in a storm that dump 3 inches of rain in an hour I know it doesn’t leak. I really like the sunroof for light and ventilation. The sunroof glass panel is removable with out tools. I don’t have any wind noise form the roof rack either. I’m impressed with this top and looking forward to our trip west next month.

IMG_2115.jpg xxxxx - 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Jhinva, JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  2. Aug 22, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    That's an awfully good review!! Post up some pictures of your new hard top. That might help some other members on their decision to go from a soft top to a hard top.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Aug 22, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @Sand Flea ...hard tops definitely have some advantages over soft tops for security and extreme weather conditions up north. Like my freedom panels but having options to open the side glass would be great. Army green / tan camouflage top would look awesome on a jeep.

4. Aug 22, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Awesome review and looks like a really sweet top. I like my soft top for the obvious reasons. Open air driving, etc etc. But at some point. I would like to pick up a hard top. And this top looks fricking nice. I like the sun roof and the fact that it opens. Is a nice feature. And I REALLY like the opening side windows. I assume the back window opens too? You didn't mention a cost.
    Welcome to the forum @Sand Flea :jeepwave:.

5. Aug 23, 2019 at 4:46 AM
    Sand Flea

Sand Flea [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bulldawg.com has a lot more detail, including price. I was just trying to give you my experience with the top and the company.

6. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    I looked at the site and I didnt see anything for the unlimited. Do they only make tops for the 2 doors??

Products Discussed in

To Top