1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL Unlimited: what configuration makes sense to order?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by morzh, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Apr 28, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    morzh

morzh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler JLRU.
    Hi guys and gals,

I'm a new member, joined today.
    I have been a Jeep owner for more than half of my adult life. Call it a childhood dream.
    In my former country our village orthodox priest (also a family friend) drove a Willys that got to stay there after the Lend-Lease ended. So as soon as I could afford it, I bought a used 92 Cherokee and drove it until no metal was left on the roof under caulk, 13 years and 230K miles. Then exchanged it for my Grand Cherokee in 2009.

Now I'm considering adding off-roading to the list of "wife-hated" hobbies of mine (the other one is antique tube radios restoration) and purchasing a JL Unlimited (well, I still drive to work and have two kids, the youngest is 8 years old, so the Unlimited is the closest that aporoaches a minivan).

Having no real experience off-roading (occasional crossing a mud pit or a very raised median on my Cherokee doesn't really count) and the JL being fairly expensive, and the dealer likely working their magic to sell me stuff, I decided I'd ask more experienced folks of what would be considered a good configuration to have from the dealer, and what makes sense to add from a third party.

Some answers were kindly given to me in the introduction thread, (shovel - got it, spare - comes standad full size, flash light - got it, I even got an AK47 banyonette which is an excellent tool). But Jeep comes with options: like the top etc, packages and such.
    Dealers do sell winches, hitches, lights...
    Steel bumper?
    Extra steps to climb in the cabin: do they hurt more than help?

In short: what would you order now that you got the experience?

JKBob 25 likes this.
  2. May 4, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Bump.....or should I move it n a different subforum?

3. May 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    Hell cat motor, Dana 44's Rubi transfer case and lockers . Everything else is fluff

4. May 4, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Probably not gonna let you have the hell cat motor unless you buy the dealership.

5. May 4, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    No need for another thread. We'll keep this one alive for a while.

Well I would start off with what package you want to go with first and then build to suit afterwards. If you want a classy ride go for the Sahara. If you want classy and front/rear lockers go for the Rubicon. Or you could just buy a base JL and use what money you didnt spend on the higher packages for upgrades. I would just run stock for a little while and take it offroad and see what mods you require for your terrain.

Mainly the first things people do is lift and larger tires. Then regear/lockers. Then bumpers and winches.

But it all comes down to what works for you and your family. A stock Wrangler is a very very capable rig right off the factory floor. Just take your time and have fun with it

6. May 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    boondoc89

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    Dana 44's pshh hahaha :D if anybody gets a hellcat jeep they better be slapping on the prorock 60's geared locked and ready to rock

7. May 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, if I didn't say that in here on in my introduction, I am planning on Rubicon.
    I figured, if I were to order base model and then start adding things I'll end up with Rubicon only more expensive. No?

So it is a Rubicon, and I wonder what options it makes sense to order from dealer so they be there when I drive it out, and what order separately, and maybe not from dealer.
    What would be the preferences for hard/soft top, packages (I know I will have things lime heated seats or entertainment center, plus rear cam, side approach (dead space view) warning).

And when having decided on the things I want, do the Rubicons get ordered or is it better buying stock? I mean, financially (discounts etc - do they even exist for Rubicons?)

8. May 4, 2019 at 3:56 PM
    boondoc89

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    I have never seen any incentives to buy a Rubicon... EVER. But you might be able to swing something with a dealer and order a new rig thru them. Then you can tell them what you want on it and try to strike up a deal. I've heard good and bad things about doing it that way. One good thing is if you get dealer included accessories they will still warranty any issues if any pop up. But you're gonna pay for it when you first buy the jeep lol

9. May 4, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Don't think the factory will put in prorocks ..the dealership will do anything for money

boondoc89[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 4, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Nope they don't discount the rubi's

11. May 4, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    boondoc89

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    I want prorocks Soooooo bad :annoyed:

TJ_abuser[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 4, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Since you're in driving distance of Koons Tysons Jeep, Vienna, VA check out the website when researching. Local dealers were so stingy I had to "steal" a brochure. The road trip was worth it for me. As mentioned stock Jeeps are all capable and fun but it comes down to what your plans are. For example if you want the most capable jeep off the show room get the Rubi. If you're handy and like to wrench one could build a Sport into a super Rubi because the aftermarket for upgrades is HUGE. On the trail, rocks or mud it's usually what you got or built and mainly driving skill. Your preference list is totally up to you but just avoid the 3.21 or eco gearing.

13. May 5, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Yes VA is driving distance.

3.21....it is not what Rubicons come with, no? 4.1 seems to be the one.

No I'm not superhandy when it comes to cars, though who knows, I might learn more. I am quite handy with electronics. Comes with the territory.

BTW speaking of Prorocks (incidentally this means "prophet" in Russian) - does Dana 44 still have those issues with weak ball joints etc that lead many to go for Prorocks?
    (I doubt they will give me the Hellcat :) )

14. May 5, 2019 at 7:34 AM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Just a matter of time before my paid for Jeep gets prorocks and more eventually I'm thinking about the Cummins crate drop in too . My goal is to replace every factory part eventually, cept for frame and tub.

15. May 5, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    That is correct on the Rubi transfer case, it also comes with the double cardan drive shaft already ie no sye kit needed . I tried to find a LJ Rubi unlimited but could not find one in my budget.

16. May 5, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Budgets, budges.....this is why I am trying to get it now as in 10 years as I retire the word budget will be said more often by my other half. Gotta use the moment. When even your mother in law tells you "go buy thyself a new car" - it's a sign from above.

17. May 5, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    If it was me I would buy a 2 door Rubi then bout the only mod it will need is lift, tires and gears. I would lay off power windows(makes doors twice as heavy) , power retracting roofs and any other electronic fluff that's drives the price up now and again when it breaks (everything breaks eventually). I would order a Rubi as stripped down from electronics as possible.

18. May 5, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    I get that and this is what I would do except for the next 10 years it still has to double as the family car for medium trips. Hence the Unlimited. Plus even then once in a while I have to haul a large radio or a sizeable object in the rear. Short of buying a third set of wheels, this would have to be the compromise.

I do not need retractable roofs etc, but I do like power doors. Especially if they don't get bad while crossing hight water. On my GC the keys are intermittent even without it, I feel like opening it up and use some Deoxit D on them. Oh....I love power seats.

19. May 5, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    Sounds like you are going to have to go with a 4 door then. Hey it is what it is.

20. May 5, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Yep. I'm not going to feel unhappy about it. :)
    It is still a Rubi. As uncomfortable as my old Cherokee was. Even more.
    Love it! :)

TJ_abuser likes this.
To Top