1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Losing coolant but no leaks

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Sandy-man, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Sep 14, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    Sandy-man

Sandy-man [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sanders
    Vehicle:
    2005 Grand Cherokee Limited
    I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter. Over the past several months it started losing coolant but I have been under it, over it from every angle possible and see no sign of leaks anywhere. No water in my oil or oil in my water. Is it possible to have a blown head gasket and only lose coolant through the exhaust but no other symptoms?

2. Sep 15, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Might not see a lak, if its loosing coolant while driving. Do you smell coolant while driving, or when parked?

3. Sep 15, 2019 at 8:40 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    try this - rent beg and or some how borrow a cooling system pressure tester, and get a bottle of UV dye for coolant...
    the pressure tester allows you to really move about the engine easily and safely as you use a black light to find the UV leak trail or evidence- look at the evaporator drain, the carpet on passenger side, head gasket sealing area, inspecting spark plugs MAYBE some dye on them or a single plug may have a steam cleaned appearance compared to the others, a tell tale symptom.

Sunday - Church, BBQ, bourbon (george t stagg) today and football - gotta love it. :oldglory:

aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  4. Sep 15, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    Sandy-man

Sandy-man [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sanders
    Vehicle:
    2005 Grand Cherokee Limited
    I don't smell any coolant, one of the differences between Mopar coolant and Prestone type coolant is Mopar doesn't smell, at least I can't smell it. No staining or wet spots on passenger floor board, I was thinking along them lines too, heater core. I never heard of a pressure tester for cooling systems but perhaps a local mechanic would know or have one. I spent a half hour under and above it yesterday, with it running after a 50 minute drive, skid plate removed and a very bright light. There is no indication of leaks anywhere.

To Top