1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maddening Trans / PCM / Harness Issue FOUR stinking months now?!?! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by MyJeepWJ2000, May 30, 2023.

1. May 30, 2023 at 8:24 AM
    MyJeepWJ2000

MyJeepWJ2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. auto.. 6cyl.. Currently it is my wife's main source of transportation, so I am a nut about making sure it is a-ok, safe, comfy, etc.

The main issue has been the transmission. Started to get the heavy shift, rev rev rev.. CLUNK! into gear.. and then it would not drop down in gears as I slowed to a stop. Essentially it would stay in 3rd. I go to accelerate / take off in third, it would CRAWL. Argh.

Took it to the shop and they addressed all the codes it was throwing.. solenoid pack, this sensor, that sensor, and still the same issue... Cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor... I drive, the RPMs peak, CEL comes on and it won't shift.

Twice now, they addressed issues.. RPM surge, CEL, won't shift.

Then the tranmission was pulled and replaced.. SAME ISSUE. Thought there was maybe a crack in the case.. they pulled it and replaced it with ANOTHER.

"All is well.. come and get it!" Drive.. Drive.. SAME ISSUE YET AGAIN.

So the valve body was replaced, as was the PCM.. I get the call, it is all set, head home, before I get a mile away, same situation. Back to the shop...

One of the connectors to the PCM, the pins were SHOT. That was replaced.. and it seemed fine, drive it for about 10-15 minutes, slow, stop, go.. BOOM. Happened yet again.

Took it right back to the shop. He decided he would run one harness line from the PCM straight back.. seemed great, shifts like a dream. Then 30-45 minutes in.. BOOM. CEL.. won't shift down. Back to ground zero yet again. This is NUTS.

I left it in my driveway over the weekend and dropped it off at the shop yesterday night. The ride there, it shifted great. But the CEL light is still on, so there is/was an issue of some sort. I am $3700 into this now. Money I can ill-afford to still be in this spot and it NOT BE FIXED.

It is HER car, so I don't want to take ANY chances. If I break down in the middle of nowhere, it is fine.. I mean, I would be pissed, but if it is her, I would lose my ever-loving mind. I want this thing SAFE and I want to feel it has some semblance of reliability. What decent husband wouldn't want that???

The plan now is to pull all the PCM connectors from another WJ and replace them ALL. (it is just three, but still..)

Sadly, this has been going on almost FOUR MONTHS now.

Any one else run into anything remotely similar? I am close to cutting my losses and pushing it off the nearest cliff.

2. May 30, 2023 at 6:43 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Wow what a story of frustrations. Think you’re in too deep $4k to not let the shop figure this out before the cliff. Hopefully the shop used OEM parts whenever possible as some aftermarket sensors or electronics can add to an issue.

MyJeepWJ2000[OP] and LYFZGOOD like this.
  3. May 31, 2023 at 5:16 AM
    MyJeepWJ2000

MyJeepWJ2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah, I realize I am in this one for the distance unfortunately.. And that is ok, at this point I just want it fixed and have my confidence in this thing restored. It seems to be an electrical issue (shocker) so they are replacing all the PCM connections.. Thankfully the Jeep in the junkyard that they pulled the one connector from still has the others in tact so they should fit the bill.

On the bright side of things, it has a new transmission, ECU, PCM, a myriad of sensors, and a new ignition coil pack, oil sensor, among other things. Maybe they'll paint it while their at it. ;)

Kidding aside, I am just beyond frustrated. I am used to something being broken, it getting fixed and moving on with my life. Silly me.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  4. Jun 2, 2023 at 6:53 AM
    MyJeepWJ2000

MyJeepWJ2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    So late Wednesday, they told me that the mechanic drove it and drove it - it "was fine until he hit a BUMP...." I don't know where you live, but we have a few bumps down here.
    It is quite unavoidable. :annoyed:

So it apparently is a loose or faulty PCM connection.. I am hoping this is resolved today. Heading on the other side of FOUR MONTHS, it's getting silly.

5. Jun 5, 2023 at 5:06 AM
    MyJeepWJ2000

MyJeepWJ2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well, stopped in and spoke with the owner of the shop. We are both in this pretty deep. I am at the end of my rope with this quite honestly. I suggested giving me half of what I paid, and I would cut my loses and walk away. As I said above, I have zero confidence in this car. It is continually going into limp mode, CEL, etc. He was going to try and track down a main harness and replace the whole thing. His office manager, his partner both said to cut me a check and let me walk. I am just going to put the Jeep up for sale for a grand and call it a day. His pride is the hindrance.. he wanted the weekend to "think it all out".. He can't accept that he cannot fix it, and that he's just digging a deeper hole, since I am DONE shelling out cash.

So I am to call him this morning for the "decision". Hoping that the folks in his ear usurp his pride so I can move on. Literally.

aggrex likes this.
  6. Jun 5, 2023 at 8:54 AM
    MyJeepWJ2000

MyJeepWJ2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Getting a check - and I gave him the headache. Off to find another car. What a debacle. Disappointing to say the least, but I am just fried.

To Top