1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metal hood latches... from contest win!

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by UrbanCowboy, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dec 27, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Wrangler... Hulk
    Suspension: 3 1/2" Rubicon Express Super Flex SL, 1" BL, Brown Dog MML, D44/D30 with Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Teraflex belly up pan, Adams Drive Shafts, Currie heavy duty front end (inner and outer tie rods and draglink), Fox Racing 2.0 Performance Shocks with remote reservoir, 4.56 gears, ARB air lockers front and rear, ARB twin compressor, 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Mickey Thompson Classics Motor: K&N cone filter and Flowmaster Delta 40 Muffler Body: Stout Fabrication Body Armor (all 4 corners), steel flat fenders (enlarged inner aluminum fenders front and 4" flare rear), Quadratec LED Stealth headlights, Pro Comp light bar with 5 6" HID Lamps, Round LED brake and reverse lights, custom front and rear bumpers, custom tire carrier with Hi-Lift mount, rock sliders, CJ style dropdown tailgate, Warn 9.5 Ti Winch, Rigid Industries metal hood latches, Buggywhips LED light whip, Baja Designs Squadron Pro-R amber wide cornering lights, Interior: Corbeau Baja Racing Seats front and rear with 4 point harnesses. Full custom roll cage, LED dome lights, CB radio, ApolloIntech switch system Audio: 2 10" JL W3v2's in a custom bedlined (waterproof) box, Kenwood 600w amp, 2 Kicker 6.5" marine speakers in waterproof SSV Works cans for rear speakers, 2 4x6 Pioneer front speakers, Axios 400w mini 4 channel amp, JL 500w mono amp, Kenwood head unit
    I FINALLY got the hood patches installed a month after winning them in one of the site contests. It’s about a 15 min mod, unless the previous owner drilled holes in the wrong location for the old hood latch on the passenger side. They were able to stretch the rubber latch to work, but metal doesn’t stretch very well. FD0CAC26-E3D7-487B-A4D9-C1AA80D82ED0.jpg

You can see the latch on the fender is about 1/4” farther forward than the hood, so time to drill new holes in the Jeep! :fingerscrossed:

94C6D64B-1F38-4FBC-9F72-A41CD4ABB344.jpg

The new holes are the ones to the left, without the rust. Remember, measure twice (or about 10 times in my case), cut once. Luckily, everything lined up perfectly after the new holes and I now have metal hood latches!!

5E8ABA18-550A-4765-A9D7-35C087142EE1.jpg

Best part is that now I have zero hood flutter. My Jeep seems to track straighter at speed and between a cold day and these awesome latches, my Jeep was happy to go about 10 mph faster on the highway than before.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone who is bothered by the hood flutter or just wants something beefier looking than the stock latches. They fit on a TJ and a JK. They are relatively cheap... or free if you win them in a contest, which is cool in and of itself because I’ve never won a contest before. So, thanks to the mods and everyone else on the site!! These things are awesome!

2585A37F-8AB3-407E-B953-BF2386B284A3.jpg

2. Dec 28, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Those look great!

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Dec 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Great job on accurately drilling the holes where they need to be! Got them on my JK and they are one of the gems from RR

Bob and JKBob 25 like this.
  4. Dec 28, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Yeah...I like'em. Look sweet @UrbanCowboy. Not crazy about the price tag. But I may just have to pull the trigger on a set.

5. Dec 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    JKbob 25 ...just do it...you know you want it;) 15 minutes install. Had QT price match Amazon last year and got textured black finish.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Dec 28, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Yeah.....It's just money right. Have to check out Amazon's price. I get 10 off thru QT. I like the textured black too. :thumbsup:

aggrex[QUOTED] and chris4x4 like this.
  7. Dec 29, 2017 at 5:57 AM
    Rc Jeep

Rc Jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    I have those latches on my jk...just like @UrbanCowboy said, the jeep tracks straighter with no hood flutter. So far those and the new headlights have been the best mods.

Bob and chris4x4 like this.
  8. Dec 29, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    UrbanCowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Wrangler... Hulk
    Suspension: 3 1/2" Rubicon Express Super Flex SL, 1" BL, Brown Dog MML, D44/D30 with Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Teraflex belly up pan, Adams Drive Shafts, Currie heavy duty front end (inner and outer tie rods and draglink), Fox Racing 2.0 Performance Shocks with remote reservoir, 4.56 gears, ARB air lockers front and rear, ARB twin compressor, 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Mickey Thompson Classics Motor: K&N cone filter and Flowmaster Delta 40 Muffler Body: Stout Fabrication Body Armor (all 4 corners), steel flat fenders (enlarged inner aluminum fenders front and 4" flare rear), Quadratec LED Stealth headlights, Pro Comp light bar with 5 6" HID Lamps, Round LED brake and reverse lights, custom front and rear bumpers, custom tire carrier with Hi-Lift mount, rock sliders, CJ style dropdown tailgate, Warn 9.5 Ti Winch, Rigid Industries metal hood latches, Buggywhips LED light whip, Baja Designs Squadron Pro-R amber wide cornering lights, Interior: Corbeau Baja Racing Seats front and rear with 4 point harnesses. Full custom roll cage, LED dome lights, CB radio, ApolloIntech switch system Audio: 2 10" JL W3v2's in a custom bedlined (waterproof) box, Kenwood 600w amp, 2 Kicker 6.5" marine speakers in waterproof SSV Works cans for rear speakers, 2 4x6 Pioneer front speakers, Axios 400w mini 4 channel amp, JL 500w mono amp, Kenwood head unit
    Thanks! And I was pleasantly surprised that the far right hole was completely covered by the latch, so you can’t even tell there are other holes on the fender.

Just do it! You wont regret it.

False. Your best mod is coilovers.

JKBob 25[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Newp......headlights get the Best Mod vote from me too. SO....2 votes for headlights, and a *4 multiplier because I'm an actual "mod", means you loose.

JKBob 25 and Rc Jeep like this.
  10. Dec 29, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Rc Jeep

Rc Jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    The coilovers are pretty badass #kinglife

JKBob 25 and chris4x4[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Dec 29, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    suck it......I mean.......Yeah, I'm sure.........stupid auto correct.....

JKBob 25 likes this.
  12. Dec 29, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    I :censored: hate my auto correct too. Gets me in alot of trouble. o_O

chris4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 30, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    UrbanCowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Wrangler... Hulk
    That seems fair. Can’t argue that.

14. Dec 30, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    :woot"

:bikewheelie2:

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top