1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 1977 CJ7 Restoration-Modification Project

Discussion in 'Jeep CJ Builds' started by baddiesel, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    baddiesel

baddiesel [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    Resto-mod/build in progress: currently have new refurbished frame, rebuilt GM350 engine, rebuilt TH350 trans, NP205 TC, new paint job inside and out.
    Here's a side by side comparison:IMG_0650.jpg

aggrex, OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  2. Dec 3, 2017 at 4:06 PM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    Resto-mod/build in progress: currently have new refurbished frame, rebuilt GM350 engine, rebuilt TH350 trans, NP205 TC, new paint job inside and out.
  3. Dec 3, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    I'm not an experienced mechanic by any means, if I had some experience, it would not be so difficult. The only help I had, was lifting off the windshield and the radiator/grill. I plan on using my engine hoist to remove the tub. The NP 205 was a heavy rascal. I used the engine hoist for that as well.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    I will probably have to cut this cross brace off the frame. Right now there's (2) bolts that support the tail shaft of the TH350.

5. Dec 3, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Still subbed. Nice work. And good luck with the knees. Good thing your a Jeeper and not a Football player huh. Lolll. Looks like it coming along pretty nicely. :thumbsup:.

6. Dec 4, 2017 at 2:27 AM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    Thanks JKBob! It's going to be a long adventure. I still can't believe I decided to do this project. The time and money invested is plain stupid, compared to any investment I've ever made.:annoyed:Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. IMG_0652.jpg

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  7. Dec 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    Thought I'd post a quick update with photos to follow later. I've removed the front clip and tub from the old chassis/frame. Additionally, I have removed the NP 205 transfer case from the "Franken Jeep". I have received the master overhaul kit, high performance sprag, and transmission case savers for the TH350. Also, I received the master overhaul kit, and twin stick modification for the Dana 300 transfer case. And lastly, I received the adapter kit from Novak, which included the new rear output shaft to modify the 2wd TH350 to a 4wd version. Yesterday, I spoke to the owner of the transmission shop that I'm going to hire to address the transmission and transfer case overhaul. He's given me an estimate of 16 hours total for the labor (@ $75.00/hr). He also advised me to purchase a new torque converter, otherwise he would not warranty the transmission rebuild. So.....I'm busy shopping for a proper fitting torque converter. I've looked at TCI/Jegs and Monster. I know that I do not need a high rpm stall converter, but I'm a bit confused with making a good choice. There's a science to accurately choose the correct torque converter. Without being too overwhelmed, and this will not be used as a drag racer, I think I'm going to choose either a 1350 rpm stall or 1750 stall converter.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  8. Dec 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    No no no no no! Get a stock rebuilt torque converter from a local shop or if the one you have is stock have it rebuilt. I installed a TCI 1400 in mine and I hated it. Couldn't wheel for crap. Always reving the engine just to go forward an inch. Stock stall is around 750rpm. If you are supplying the parts the tranny rebuild should cost you any more than $350 if you are pulling and taking it to them and reinstalling it yourself. To pull a tranny cost $500 at the shop. Dont know about the hours on a Tcase. good luck.

aggrex likes this.
  9. Dec 22, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    Wow!!!! Thanks Pete for the info!!!! Sound's like this guy is taking me to the cleaners. I will call some other shops in get their price quotes. I might have to drive a few hours.....Yeah, you're right, I'm removing the tranny and performing all the installation. There shouldn't be any labor charges at all for removing it, or installing it. That's what sucks about living in a small town, you're very limited on where you can go, and there's no competition for business. I'll do a search at a big city, such as Wilmington, NC and see what the prices are there. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  10. Dec 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    From what I can see you are very handy around the shop. I have never rebuilt a TH350, and i was going to do the one I just put in my CJ-7, but I called my tranny guy to ask a couple questions, and he said he would do it for $300 labor since i had the rebuild kit and had it pulled, but the point I'm making is that the 350 is the most straight forward trannys of all of them and they look very simple to rebuild. I bet you could do it yourself. Here are some videos that I watched that gave me the confidence to know I could do it if I wanted to. The really cool thing about these videos is that he goes into what makes a stock to high performance build and everything in between. Little tricks I never knew about etc. Check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1aEon7AB_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shU08g76BCs&t=7s

JKBob 25, chris4x4 and aggrex like this.
  11. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    baddiesel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ7
    I thank you for the videos, I've been enlightened. Unfortunately, I do not have the skills, time or competence let alone the applicable tools necessary to to accomplish this kind of project. Wish I did, but I know my limitations. I have located a couple tranny shops about 45 mins from my residence. I'll give them a call after Christmas. Hope you and your family have a nice Christmas.

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top