1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New power steering pump but high pressure line flange nut won’t fit

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by SergeantYates, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Apr 6, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    SergeantYates

SergeantYates [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    4 in. Lift, new 33in tires and wheels
    So earlier this week I started getting a weird, almost clicking noise coming from the engine area. A friend of mine who is a technician said that it would either be the idler pulley or the power steering pump. So I changed the idler pulley, no change, so today I went to autozone and got a power steering pump and pulley with the reservoir already on the pump. I got home and started taking the old one out. Then I got the new pump and started putting that one in. I put the pulley on, out the return hose on, started bolting it in, then I put the new o ring on the old high pressure line and went to put the line in and.... it didn’t fit. So I’ve come to a screeching halt. I don’t know what to do now. Should I just buy a whole new line that should fit the pump? Is there a piece missing on the new pump and should take it back? I have no clue what to do (and i’m not even sure that this is the right place to talk about this). Please help.

2. Apr 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    We got some knowledgeable TJ and 4.0L folks that may chime in. In the interim confirm the part# with autozone (some rebuilds can be wrong) and check out whether the new matching line fits on both ends.

3. Apr 7, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    The part number is 7141 and I haven’t gotten a new line yet.

4. Apr 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    Ok, so I figured out what I did wrong. I forgot to transfer this nut from the old pump to the new one. I put new o rings on it and finished putting everything back together, put some power steering fluid in it and tried bleeding it but after about 20 minutes of turning back and forth, I still have no power steering, but the noise I was experiencing is completely gone. The only thing I can hear is the engine. When I was trying to bleed the system, I was watching the fluid level. When it was turned to the right it looked like the fluid was churning. Couldn’t tell if there were any bubbles but there might have been. When it was turned to the left the fluid level seemed to rise as long as the tires were turned left. When i straightened it the fluid level returned to normal. I still have no idea what the heck is going on or what i’m doing wrong, but i’m getting really frustrated at this point.

5. Apr 8, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Fill the PS fluid in the reservoir but not to the top because as you turn the wheel it will spill out. Jack up the jeep so the wheels are off the ground and turn steering wheel side to side until the bubbles) are gone. Check+refill PS fluid until the reservoir is full. This is the way I've done it.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Apr 8, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Agreed. Cycle steering. This will force out any air in the system.

7. Apr 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    That’s what I tried for 20 minutes. But the steering hasn’t improved at all since the pump was put in and the fluid level hasn’t changed at all either.

To Top