1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie to the jeep game! What should my first Mods be?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ClevelandJeep4x4, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Aug 9, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    ClevelandJeep4x4

ClevelandJeep4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    2015 Qrangler Unlimited Sport
    I am the proud new owner of at 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited!

I am curious where the best place is to start with mods. Is it wheels and tires? Do I get a lift kit first? How about new gender or bumpers? I dont wanna buy things twice and I feel like if you mess up the order you do things, you will end up in that scenario. Excited to become part of the community!

15338134510921323146730078274931.jpg

2. Aug 9, 2018 at 5:03 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! Nice JKU and color to start your project. Check out some of the JK builds on the forum for some ideas. There is a large aftermarket supply of parts and accessories for Jeeps with many online venders. IMO start slow, do some research, attend some Jeep events to gather ideas of how to make your Jeep yours. For example the front bumper comes in many varieties and sizes so picking the right one to fit your overall build will be important. Same goes for tire up-sizing to match the lift you may choose. Run the JKU stock for a while and learn its unique driving characteristics. Take the doors off and enjoy that unique freedom. Plenty of smaller modifications you can do during that time such as LED headlights, tail lights, gas cap/hood lock etc. Think about how your JKU will be driven off-road which can mean different things to different Jeepers....trails, fire roads, beach sand, rocks etc. will guide you towards the tires, lifts, etc. Enjoy your ride and post your build.

IMG_20180227_162119_edit.jpg

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Aug 9, 2018 at 6:49 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    the nicest jeep posted here so far - had to double check driveway :)

1st suggestion join a jeep club- lots to share. figuring out what you want to accomplish, a ride to the hunting fishing spot, mudding, trails etc..
    Above were some suggestions IE #1 scrounge up a build sheet from jeep easier closer to production than 10years past. #2 covered above #3 HARDTOP stays AC is a necessity!! #4 tires key word PERESSURE ck
    #5 contact auto insurance adjust to risk, join the NRA , THINK , #6 be EXTREMELY careful of aftermarket BS miracle magnets, tornado swirlers, fresh air, once a year oil, jeep parts recommended.

Of the top of my head #1 hands down, from jeep a transmission fluid cooler.
    Going to do work yourself? A SCANNER !!!

4. Aug 9, 2018 at 7:16 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site!

5. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:
    Welcome over and congrats

6. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    fiesta346

fiesta346 Member

Member:
    tint drivers & passanger windows.

Squatchy likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    Blue Baby Sound

Blue Baby Sound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    All the world's indeed a stage And we are merely players Performers and portrayers Each another's audience Outside the gilded cage
    Build threads in sig
    Without a doubt go ahead and order D80s, 6" Long arm and 42" tires. Once you have those conquered the rest will fall into place.
    :D

Kidding, I agree that a Jeep club and some wheeling time before you do anything. Then choose the mods that match the type of wheeling you enjoy.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

JKBob 25, Squatchy and aggrex like this.
  8. Aug 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    Squatchy

Squatchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2017 hyper green jku
    I agree. It all depends on what your going to do with it. Are you going to be one of those people that don’t want to go with bigger tires because it’s “impractical” or are you wanting a lift and bigger tires? I wouldn’t change the springs just because there is some bounce in the suspension unless your going with a lift. You bought a jeep. It’s not going to ride that great and it’s not going to handle great either.

aggrex and JKBob 25 like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum. Alot of good advice above. I always give the same advice. Build it with your vision in mind. A little from here, some from there. Look at other builds. But first and foremost. Have fun with it. And expect to spend some cash. :eek:.

Squatchy and aggrex like this.
  10. Aug 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Sorry I have been offgrid for the last few weeks. Vacation-work in Utah then Vacation with family and soon back to Utah for more work. Things are getting busy, but I'll continue to check in.

Too funny Aggrex, Lights before lockers. I agree with everything you say though.

Like others have said the style of wheeling you plan on doing will dictate the lift and tires you select. I like that you say you only want to buy/build once. Join a local club, see what they are doing with their rigs and how they are wheeling to see if that is for you.

JKBob 25, aggrex[QUOTED] and Squatchy like this.
To Top