1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No heat

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Chillmo, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    Chillmo

Chillmo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    03 grand cherokee loredo, 4.0 straight 6 Family jeep. Just keeping her running slowly upgrading parts
    OK. Live in ny. Its cold! And my Jeep won't produce heat unless the engine at least 2000rpm or the temp gauge is over 210.

03 grand Cherokee Laredo

2. Dec 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Clogged heater core.

My heat was low, flushed the core last night and it seems to be doing better. Your must be REALLY clogged though.

Take the heater hoses off the engine and flush water both directions through the heater core until the water comes out clean. Hopefully a bunch of crud comes out too. May be good to flush the entire cooling system but hopefully flushing the core will get you through the winter and you can flush the whole system when it is warmer. Some people use CLR and let it sit in the heater core for 5-10 mins and then flush it out real good but the chemical is corrosive to aluminum so use at your discretion. Prestone makes a coolant system cleaner that you could use on the heater core.

https://prestone.com/products?detail=AS105Y

OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  3. Dec 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Agree with @Prerunner1982. At higher rpms. Your water pump is turning faster, pushing fluid harder past your clog. Hence some heat. Follow above suggestions. You should be fine.

4. Dec 13, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    Chillmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    03 grand cherokee loredo, 4.0 straight 6 Family jeep. Just keeping her running slowly upgrading parts
    OK.. Update. Engine at temp. But not running. Rad cap is not even warm. opened it and no pressure or fluid at the top.. Main hose not very warm.. Also I hear bubbles in the over flo. No antifreeze in oil. Not hemorrhaging any fluids

JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Sounds like your thermostat is frozen closed. If your upper hose is cold, and your lower hose is hot. Replace it and flush entire system.

Prerunner1982 likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    BTW. Don't drive it as it is now. You could alot more damage than a bad stat and flush. Also, the fact you have no pressure could suggest you have a leak some where up top. Bad radiator cap possibly. Wouldn't hurt to replace that too.

7. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    Chillmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    It made a pop when I opened it but I didn't feel that of was enough to say it was good. The lack of coolant spraying out is what concerns me most. Gonna replace the stat pronto. No choice but to drive it.. Been driving it for a while..

8. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:27 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Just watch your temp. If it starts hitting 230 and above. Not good. You should be like 180 to 210. Depending on your thermostat. But since it sounds like it's bad. Don't let it over heat.. You really need to flush the system and replace stat and cap. If you over heat and cook the motor. Your lookin at a whole mess of trouble. $$$$.

Edit. The lack of coolant up top is the lack of pressure. Stat is bad. Replace it with OEM. Cap, and flush. You should be fine. As long as you didn't cook motor and cracked the block some where. You should be ok.

9. Dec 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM
    Chillmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    No it hasn't overheated. I'd shut it down if it was going to.. Doing it asap. Just sucks.. Cold as fuck out and I don't have a usable garage..

JKBob 25 likes this.
  10. Dec 14, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    Chillmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    And what do i do to flush the system in my driveway? Changing the stat is no problem.. Never flushed a cooling system before

JKBob 25 likes this.
  11. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    They make flushing kits you can get, that allow you to attach a garden hose, and flush it that way.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  12. Dec 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Chillmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    OK. Changed the stat. Problem solved. Didn't flush the system. It was way to cold to be playing with a water hose. I'll save that for the spring. Thanks for all the info!

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  13. Dec 14, 2017 at 6:26 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Take off the radiator cap and let motor get up to operating temp. You,should be able to see the coolant flow. If it's flowing normally. You should be ok for a little while. Also. What does the coolant look like? As long as it's not a rust color.
    If you decide to to use system. @chris4x4 is spot on. They do make a kit, and it is fairly easy to do.

To Top