1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0339 Cam and Crankshaft Sensor problems

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Jrgabriel, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    SmittyJeeper

SmittyJeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    5" lift, 4.11 gears, tru-trac limited-slips, winch, bumbers... you know the rest.
    Just out of curiosity are you having codes come back or is that part fixed and it’s the rough running at speeds now?

2. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    Jrgabriel

Jrgabriel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2wd 5.7 Hemi
    Nothing was ever fixed...still throwing the P0334 codes and riding rough.

3. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    Jrgabriel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    In reference to the best tech - they have had their best from both of their locations as far as I know.

4. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    SmittyJeeper

SmittyJeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    5" lift, 4.11 gears, tru-trac limited-slips, winch, bumbers... you know the rest.
    Po334 or p0339?

5. Jan 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM
    Jrgabriel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    P0334 but I believe it threw a P0339 back in the beginning too.

6. Jan 28, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    Jrgabriel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It is pulling an intermittent P0330 code now...

7. Jul 3, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    Frustrated

Frustrated New Member

Member:
    Hello. I had the same problem with Code p0339 (crankshaft Position Senor). For 3 weeks my jeep cherokee latitude kept stalling because P0339 code. I took it to the dealer they said they could fix it for $500.00 plus
    tax. I said no way so i took it to a local mechanic and he did it for $105.00. All was good for one week, until the same problem came up. I noticed it stalled only when the engine got hot. So I let it cool and looked at the wires. That's when I noticed the wires from the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor were chafing against the hot engine, so i took some zip ties and tied them back way from the heat. reset all codes by disconnecting the battery and putting a jumper wire on the the battery cables (NOT THE BATTERY). I turned on everything headlights, inside lights, for about 20 minutes held the horn for about 1 minute to clear all codes. Hooked up the battery and drove it on the highway at 60 mph then dropped to 50 mph with out touching the brakes. Did this 3 times at 1 min. intervals. 4 1/2 months later still purring like a kitten. I hope this helps someone. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Juup likes this.
  8. Jan 25, 2023 at 4:41 PM
    Juup

Juup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Vehicle:
    2007 Jeep Compass
    none
    P0339 SOLVED! AT LAST! So I have a 2007 Jeep Compass. I got it a year ago, it was given to me free in early 2022. The previous had not driven it since 2017, and it sat in her driveway. She said she took to several mechanics and could not get it fixed, or if fixed it would keep having issues again. When I got it, it had the P0339 Intermittent Crankshaft Sensor and would only do like 10mph max. I replaced the sensor, still had the problem. I replaced the computer, and had it flash at a shop, still the same problem. I watched soooo many YouTube videos and read many forums, but could not find a solid solution. I finally decided to trace the wire from the sensor to the computer, checked the pins on the sensor and computer terminal, made sure there were no shorts no broken missing pins, but that was a waste of time.

Then I found the issue, the wire-harness has to be pushed very firm for it to latch on properly. I had thought I was pushing it in, but I was not inserted firmly enough. What I had to do to get a proper connection was to 1) first connect the sensor to the harness with the sensor off the vehicle, and 2) then bolt the sensor on to the vehicle with the harness attached. Yes this made it more difficult to reinstall, but it worked. P0339 gone! If successful, you will get a P0315 to relearn the crank sensor. Just drive at 60mph let foot of gas and allow it to slow down to 50mph, then speed back up to 60mph. Wait a minute before doing it again, repeat three times and you should be good to go.

I remember reading this entire post and comments several months ago while hunting down some answers. I came back to post my findings in case it helps someone else. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    aggrex likes this.
To Top