1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painless Wiring harness...which wires go where?

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by Roughneck81, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Oct 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    Roughneck81

Roughneck81 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1989 YJ 4.0 I6
    So I’m new to writing threads so bare with me. I bought a Painless Wiring harness for my 89 YJ 4.0 I6 cause my previous wiring had slices and spices everywhere. The Jeep also has a ICM and ECU that I got rid of going with a HEI Distributor. The head scratcher I’m having is what wires go exactly where. I also have a starter relay to throw in the mix. Can someone please help??..

2. Oct 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    I am not really sure how to advise, your electrical skill set hopefully is broad. Can you return harness for refund?

Maybe hook up what you can, then use a wiring diagram and try to add what is missing.

removed ICU and ECU -- what is there now 12v to ignition coils and the gauges?

Have you looked at a previous year set up - one without ECU ?

Is there a legend with new harness - ie this connector with blue tag #135 goes to alternator?

3. Oct 21, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    Roughneck81

Roughneck81 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1989 YJ 4.0 I6
    Unfortunately I cannot return for refund, neither Jeep or wiring.. lol The wiring kit has a 12v source. Got it hooked to a maxi fuse then to battery. Ive got ignition wire going to hei distributor. What I’m stuck on is the starter relay. At the moment going straight to starter/selenoid. Nobody has a diagram but been piecing together from different threads.. There are multiple legends but none that include a hei.

To Top