1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Putting lockers on my 2013 JKU

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Guardian, May 23, 2019.

1. May 23, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    Guardian

Guardian [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 JKSU Perl Blue
    AEV Front & Rear Bumpers & 2.5 Lift with Bilstein Shocks/Springs - GoBi FullLength Roof Rack, 35BFG's on Mamba Rims, XBull Winch with several LED Lights around,
    Ok - opening the door for some advise - I've wanted to install lockers on my 2013 JKU. Either changing the inners of the axles or change the axles all together.
    Your opinion, Please???
    Thanks

2. May 23, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    Guardian

Guardian [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 JKSU Perl Blue
    AEV Front & Rear Bumpers & 2.5 Lift with Bilstein Shocks/Springs - GoBi FullLength Roof Rack, 35BFG's on Mamba Rims, XBull Winch with several LED Lights around,
    Clarification - Changing the complete axle or changing the guts... I guess I need to be more graphic... ha ha.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. May 23, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    I'm not an expert on the subject. But no. You don't have to change entire axle. And yes...you are going to have to crack the pumpkins and install the lockers. Brakes, Yokes and Shafts, have to be pulled, and whatever lockers you choose. Air, electric, etc. Are installed In the differentials. Again....I don't have the knowledge or even the tools needed to perform this upgrade.

Hope this helps. Im sure some one can elaborate some what more on the subject.

4. May 23, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    I can handle the work but no tools for that job anyway and no place to do it but a Sandy gravel sloped driveway. That's a recipe for failure! All my tools boxes and all were stolen bout 5 years back and still haven't replaced them. What I refuse to try and tackle regardless of tools is regearing. I'll screw that up do to my lack of patience sometimes.

5. May 23, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Finding a reputable shop for quality axle work would be job #1 followed by making decisions on lockers and gears. If my jeep fund credits start getting full again new made-to-order upgraded axles locked+geared shipped to my driveway would be nice.

chris4x4 and JKBob 25 like this.
  6. May 24, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Guardian

Guardian [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 JKSU Perl Blue
    Thanks all for the input. I was looking also for some insight as to whether or not any parts would not work between the current and the locker axle.
    I've checked into some areas, so for an FYI, it will bolt right up. The only items that would need to be addressed is the locker method. Whether it be air or cylinder. One would need to bring all that into the new setup. That would be it - So far from what I've discovered.
    Again, thanks to you all who replied.
    G

7. May 24, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    Matic

Matic "Tricky Dick"

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2018 JLU Rubicon
    Bone stock
    I threw a lunchbox locker in my prerunner.
    Took me 8 hrs with hand tools.
    Didn't really see the need for an expensive setup but it was near impossible to hit any trails with the open diff.

Been a few years and still working out great.

JKBob 25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top