1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about E break

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by jharris3, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Jan 14, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    jharris3

jharris3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
    Thank you all for your help.... took it in and the brake line was broke... so they replaced it.. the transmission line was also leaking so that was replaced...and they tightened my steering.... so far so good....

The mechanic said it was normal for the brake pedal to go all the way to the floor if it was running?

I'm just glad to have my ride back....

2. Jan 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Well between my original 2008 and my 2012 I have about 140,000 miles in a JK....never had the brake pedal go to the floor. So no...that is not "normal" let alone safe. Either I am misunderstanding you or you need a real mechanic. I do not claim to be the world's greatest mechanical mind but anyone who says it is "normal" for the brake pedal to go to the floor is an idi...well, not much of a mechanic. I am not big on throwing around insults but this "mechanic" is putting everyone's safety at risk. If your brake pedal is going all the way to the floor, you need to get that fixed...SOON!

Your brake pedal WILL go down further when the engine is running than when it is not...however, it is NOT to go all the way down...period.

3. Jan 14, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    jeepinghillbilly

jeepinghillbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    99 TJ locked/locked, 4" lift, 1" body lift, skids and more skids, geared 4.88s, super shorty sye, all Rockmen adjustable arms, D44 rear, D30 front, all disc brakes, AX15 manual 5 speed, waren winch, currie tie rod, a drop down tail gate and heater relays upgrade to keep my heater switch from melting lol, and lots more stuff. 79 CJ5 with 4.0 swap
    TOTALLY agree with C2. And i am still wondering how a brake line causes the e-brake to not function when its cable activated? Does your e-brake work now? I must have missed it but I never saw where you said your brake pedal was going to the floor? C2 is right on that if you put your foot on the pedal and start the Jeep you should feel it go down bout halfway, sounds like you still have no pedal? Are you sure your describing things properly and using correct terminology? Do not mean that in a disrespectful way at all.

C2T likes this.
  4. Jan 14, 2017 at 7:27 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Sounds like the bleeding is not done fully. If your dealer has the tools (and they should) to do what is commonly called a "scan bleed" I would recommend that. ABS brake systems can be a royal pain to bleed...a scan bleed is the answer to that.

I suspect you meant the e-brake cable was replaced as opposed to a brake line? Yes...No?

jharris3[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    jharris3

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The E break was my problem..I had NONE...
    This was the whole reason it went back into the shop...I was telling the guys at work and showed them that my brake pedal went allllll the way to the floor. They agreed with me that that is NOT normal... said it might be my master cylinder going out...so when I took it in I asked if they would just give it a look over..

I don't drive it often...but it seems every time there is something else...

Thank you all for your input...

I've had several vehicles and was NEVER able to press the brakes all the way too the floor whether the engine was running or not.

6. Jan 14, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    jharris3

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sorry , yes e brake cable...

7. Jan 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Sorry if we seem rude J. We do not intend to and I hope we did not. Your pedal going all the way down can be a number of things. 1. Air in your brake lines (needs bleeding). 2. One or more of your brake lines getting weak. (need replacing) In the rubber sections, if they get weak, they will expand when you apply pressure and your pedal can go to the floor. 3. Master Cylinder is failing.

I hope they get you taken care of. :)

jharris3[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    jharris3

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No I didn't think rude at allll.... I appreciate all the input...

This has definitely been a learning experience for me... I don't know a lot bout jeeps...

Heck,.I had to.learn to drive alllllll over.again.. I love being able to go.places my car would never attempt to go.

I am sooooo aggravated with the dealership and don't trust them..

That's why I ask y'all for your input..2nd.opinion so to speak.. and then I try to look up and read up as much as possible...

Rc Jeep and C2T like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top