1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions from a first time Jeep buyer

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by efarley, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Nov 6, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    If you are describing the same Jeep that was in a wreck I would continue looking as there are plenty of jeeps out there to choose from.

2. Nov 6, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    efarley

efarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 Wrangler Big Bear
    It is the same Jeep. It has damage on the report, but no accident report was filed with the DMV (the state requires one for damage over 1k), looking at the jeep and getting under it the only damage I can find in these areas is un-repaired. The front right corner has a minor dent in the bumper and the rear end has some rubbing damage on the top of the roof from straps that weren't installed correctly. I could not see any damage to any frame or structural parts, none of the factory welds were touched, the roof fit correctly on the body, it didn't pull or drift in any way while driving on city roads or highway. Basically, there were no indications of any frame or other major structural damage.

I felt like the the steering was a little "loose" for lack of a better word at first but once I got used to the ride height, center of balance and clutch it seemed fine (It's been 3-4 years since I drove a manual and that was a '16 vette so... not really a truck lol). it wasn't drifting or pulling in any way as I said, there wasn't any wobble or sway and road noise was nearly non-existent. From what I know a little bit of a loose feeling isn't unusual for a lifted vehicle as long as it's not wobbling or drifting.

If you guys can think of anything else I should check off the list to ensure there are no red flags I'd love to hear it. I will double check there are no spacers or a body lift, but I really don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to suspension lifts.

Oh now that I think about it there was one thing I wasn't sure was normal (but I'm 90% sure it is), the shifter vibrated noticeably while driving. Not enough to draw alarm and nothing else vibrated with it but it was enough that I wouldn't drive around with my hand resting on the shifter for a long trip, I've noticed a number of long truck shifters doing this and have always assumed it was normal.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  3. Nov 7, 2020 at 10:41 AM
    efarley

efarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 Wrangler Big Bear
    On further reflection I think I will removed manual transmissions from my list, so I won't be buying this Willys regardless.

4. Nov 7, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    First that shifter shaft vibration may be annoying but is a characteristic for the JK manual transmission. Second it’s not a recommended practice to rest your hand on the shifter after shifting.

LYFZGOOD likes this.
  5. Nov 8, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top