1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Seat question

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by EVIL_JP, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Sep 3, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    EVIL_JP

EVIL_JP [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Wrangler X
    I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. In order to take the back seat out, one should lift the tab on the top of the back rest and fold down the back. The next step of that should be to lift the bottom rear of the seat to pivot onto the front bottom of the seat where the backs of your knees would go. Somehow mine is not doing that. It's like the claw device that clamps around the post is locked or the cable is broke. I have no clearance between the seat and the floor. I took a flashlight and tried to look under the rear seat where the attachment point is from both the front of the Jeep and also behind the rear seat at the bottom, but the seat covers the clamp. Any ideas on how to free those clamps up? I got under the Jeep to see where the brackets attached to the body but I can't tell or can't see the bolts. I was going to just undo them and raise the seat that way and then put the brackets back on the Jeep after I got the seat out but I can't tell which ones they are. Any ideas?

2. Sep 3, 2018 at 2:21 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
  3. Sep 3, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    EVIL_JP

EVIL_JP [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Wrangler X
    There has to be something that holds the back down otherwise people on that seat would fly forward when you hit the brakes. It is a hook kind of mechanism that is supposed to release when the back of the seat folds down. That's why once you fold the seat in half, it should pop right up from back to forward but back hook is not releasing

4. Sep 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Yeah, that makes sense. The only thing I can think of, would be to try and pull up some of the seat cover, and see if you can identify an issue.

5. Sep 3, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Chris I like your video. You should be proud.

chris4x4 likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @EVIL_JP ......

Occasionally my 2016 rear seat resides in the basement and the back of the upper seat has a lever that is lifted (cable operated) to fold down the seat. This action also disconnects the rear pair floor brackets. Next squeeze the skinny metal rod with the thicker rod to disengage the front pair floor brackets then lift the 75 lb seat off the brackets.

IMG_20180903_183846.jpg
    IMG_20180903_183841.jpg
    IMG_20180903_183815.jpg
    IMG_20180903_183927.jpg

Perhaps your cable is no longer on track, broken or reportedly some jeepers cut the cable to keep the seat folded and manually disconnect the rear pair floor brackets

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    EVIL_JP[OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 3, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Ive never been around the 2 door, and I didn't know the seat came out. :anonymous:

aggrex[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 3, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    EVIL_JP

EVIL_JP [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Wrangler X
    Exactly aggrex!!! I think the cable is either off track or broken. I took the seat cover apart by unzipping it and lifting it a little and I saw the cable running across the back of the seat. My problem is that the clearance between the bottom of the seat and the floor is about a quarter of an inch or less and you really can't even see the connections on the rear of the seat. Because I cannot see where the seat connects, I certainly can't get my hands or tools in there. I was hoping I could figure out where the brackets that are on the floor bolt to the bottom of the Jeep and I could undo it from underneath the Jeep and lift the seat with the brackets and pivot the seat upwards. Once the seat flips forward then I could take the brackets off the bottom of the seat and reattach them to the Jeep floor.

9. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
  10. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:14 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Any chance you could work a piece of wire around the cable, and back out? Im thinking if you could do that, then pull the wire, and see if the cables release the back of the seat....

11. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    EVIL_JP

EVIL_JP [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Wrangler X
    He may have disabled it. Unfortunately he did not make a little handle to release it like the guy did in the video. It's like it's permanently locked in

12. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    EVIL_JP

EVIL_JP [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Wrangler X
    I will try and see if I can see that wire and the state of it. Thanks for the idea. If I can see it then maybe I can guess what he did and like you said maybe wrap a wire around it or something just to make it work

13. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Or maybe grab it with some pliers, and use those to pull it.

aggrex likes this.
  14. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:36 PM
    EVIL_JP

EVIL_JP [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Wrangler X
    Will do. Hopefully I can figure something out because right now I am stuck. I will keep you posted and thanks again everyone

chris4x4 likes this.
  15. Sep 3, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    @EVIL_JP ...best course of action is to do as @chris4x4 stated and try to get a hold of that cable so you can manually disconnect the rear pair of brackets. I do not think you can unbolt them from the bottom of the jeep. They may be welded in permanently though I had no reason to look. The second video is how some jeepers snip the cable to have manual control with no rear seat flopping around. Mines working well so I'm not snipping anything at this time.

FYI: my front passenger seat never flipped+moved forward for two years until I got tired of the complaints for rear access (not my problem). I discovered a broken cable pivot point and the rest of the cable off track. Jury-rigged the cable pivot point and now my passenger seat flips+moves forward as designed and no more noise from the back riders. The cable pivot point (lack of a better word) works just like the ones on a bicycle.

EVIL_JP[OP] and chris4x4 like this.
  16. Sep 3, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    FYI: the cables are found on both sides of the seat back; the video showed they accessed the left side. I wouldn't do any snipping until you understand how the system works. Resolve the current issue then decide about snipping. Snipping sounds very permanent like a vasectomy...:anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top