1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Regear worth doing?

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by JeepieNerd88, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Feb 28, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    SmittyJeeper

SmittyJeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    5" lift, 4.11 gears, tru-trac limited-slips, winch, bumbers... you know the rest.
    Fair enough.. A forum is just an opinion and fact or fiction everyone has one. I’m not trying to stir the sauce and now we are not on topic. I was on another thread about fuel injectors mudbug made a remark about after something I said then same thing on this one... don’t know if he’s trolling but I’m gonna let it go. I think this tread has been beat to death now but take a look at some Jeep gear charts online and they give you the rpm to gear and tire size ratio.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    I appreciate the advice from @mudbug85603 and @SmittyJeeper on multiple topics as I become more informed. On my 3.6 JK I probably debated myself between 4.56 vs 4.88 all day long but at the end-of-the-day both would be better than OEM when I bump up the tire sizes on my DD/weekend warrior. The gear charts can point me in the right direction for my build and expectations but nothing trumps experience shared here.
    Heres me debating myself....LOL

upload_2018-2-28_18-44-39.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    JeepMafiaMama, chris4x4 and JKBob 25 like this.
  3. Feb 28, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    I'm subbed. :popcorn:.

Edit. For what it's worth. Looking to learn. Which is why I sub and follow threads like these.
    I'm running 35s. And according to my build sheet. I have 3.73s in my 16 JK. And I'm getting 19 to the gallon. Yes, I've recalibrated with a Super Chip. And honestly, I do question if I really am running 3.73s. When I ran 33s. Didn't lose mpgs on the highway from the stock 265/ 16s. . 20 plus consistently . And now, can't complain with 35s and 19 per.

Just my Jeep. Your experience and results may vary. Just sayin. Lol

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Feb 28, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    @aggrex.
    Buy the way. I argue with myself all the time. But I don't need a mirror to know who Im arguing with. I know it's me. Lol. So do you like agg....ok....not goin there. Lol.
    Ok....one down. One to go. @chris4x4. Just a heads up. The light brow comments. Hey guys come on. You should know me better than that by now. Chris4x4....:infantry:

chris4x4 and aggrex[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Feb 28, 2018 at 8:46 PM
    mudbug85603

mudbug85603 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Upstate SC
    '98 SE Super 35 D30w/Aussie Core 4x4 arms, JKS and Metalcloak trackbars
    No bud, not trolling at all. You made statements on the fuel injector thread I asked a couple of questions which you never answered, same with this thread

Try not to take everything so personal, We bounce ideas off of one another in these forums to try and learn from each others experiences. No one knows everything and my experiences are likely a lot different than yours. I do though try to refrain from making blanket statements with out all the facts. Instead giving food for thought and the resources for the OP to help figure it out.

Have always been told that a lunchbox lockers such as the Spartan, Aussie, Lockright, so on isn't a good thing on something with a short wheelbase like a TJ, The torque steer and the fact that the ratcheting characteristics of the lunchbox can make for a undesirable drive on road. If someone lives where snow nd ice are a concern lunchbox in the rear is a bad idea. Now an open diff, a Eaton Truetrac, a selectable locker or a Detroit are desirable in the rear. A lunchbox in the front diff is just fine

With a 4 banger and 33's with a manual trans, really 4.88 would be my choice, actually in the area I live 5.13 in my SE works great.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  6. Mar 1, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    @mudbug85603 You are correct about the Lockers being dangerous in icy conditions. In Houston we get Ice once every 20 years or so and it melts by noon time. Up north I have heard that lockers are bad in the ice period; whether it is a detroit or lunchbox front or rear. I have been playing around a lot with The Spartan, I.E. taking it apart putting it back together, and have installed 2 on friends jeeps. I really like the design. We will see how they hold up to some pretty tough wheeling. One jeep has 33s, and the other has 37s. Outside of Icy conditions the road manners of the Spartan on the JKU and TJ have both been very good. Will keep you posted on any negative feedback. So far we are happy with them.

I also agree with your taller gear choices, based on power output of 4cyl especially for offroad use. I don't have a lot of experience with the 4cyl. We do a lot of wheeling and the 4cyl and it's associated components would not hold up to our punishment.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  7. Mar 1, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    mudbug85603

mudbug85603 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Upstate SC
    '98 SE Super 35 D30w/Aussie Core 4x4 arms, JKS and Metalcloak trackbars
    I run a Detroit in the rear of my TJ and an Aussie up front....Awesome combo IMO. Where I live snow and ice can happen usually not an issue though. The on road characteristics of the Detroit are very well behaved minimal torque steer, and cornering is no problem.

Have run a Lockright in a fullsize Bronco with a 472 CI big block motor pushing somewhere around 400HP with 38" tires. No issues what so ever rock crawling out in AZ it would snap axles before the Lockright gave out.

About the only weak link in the 4 banger drive train once the D35 is built to a S35 is the AX5 tranny. Have yet to have any problems with mine then again this one is a trail rig and not a full on crawler. There is the need for a little more grunt out of the 2.5/2.4, think mine will get a Atlas 5.0 low range when the money gets right, that should take care of the crawling capability, another plus to that t-case is the twin stick. There aren't any plans on doing a motor swap anytime soon as the 2..5 does OK for what it gets used for.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
To Top