1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repair/rebuild/replace?

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by Livingod101, May 9, 2020.

1. May 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    Livingod101

Livingod101 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    Vehicle:
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4-L six-cylinder
    Rear auto locker made by grizzly
    Hello all,
    I hope this is not a repeat question, if so my apologies please let me know links.

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0l 6-cylinder straight engine. It's almost 300k and I still love my Jeep. Right now it works great around town. But if I am going hunting or camping I will have to drive it further. And climbing hills are getting harder. If I down shift and the RPM goes close to 4k I will get cylinder 1 misfire error. I researched the error and gotten new spark plugs, fuel injectors and camshaft synchronizer. Engine feels better but still same issue. I take pretty good care of it, regular oil change and service, sensor replacement, etc.

So now I am at a quandary. Should I go back and still try to repair? Or maybe it's time to rebuild engine and transmission? Or just get new engine and transmission?

What do you guys think?

2. May 9, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
    That's pretty much your decision. In my opinion the 4.0 was one of the best Jeep engines ever. I would suggest more research on that misfire. I had a '96, which was the best car I ever had, got rid of it for a new '07 GC, and that was a bad choice.

To Top