1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I cancel extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by morzh, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Dec 16, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    morzh

morzh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler JLRU.
    I just bought a JLUR 2020.

Given my experience with Grand Cherokee I bought an EW but now I think they are not very mod- or offroad adventure- friendly and I have another 3 days to cancel.

I have 10yrs/120K miles policy from Zurich.

Could use some advice.

2. Dec 16, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Read the contract, it may allow for minor mods. Some do, some don't.
    You probably overpaid through the dealer anyway.

3. Dec 16, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    As mentioned look over the EW contract for stipulations on mods. The JGC are loaded with nice electronic features that are great when they work but can be spendy to repair and the EW expense could cover them. What kind of mods do you have in mind? For example mild lift kits or larger wheels should only affect suspension parts and are relatively ez to remove. Messing with the electronics or canbus system could leave telltale signs.

4. Dec 16, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    I need to install snorkel, maybe mild lift, breather tubes routing, winch....

I was told by an agent it allows some mods like lift upto a limit. As long as it doesn't mod a particular system, it still applicable. But if offroading results in a damage, then it voids it.

I didn't like "we will check maintenance and require proof of it for youto be able to use the insurance".
    Yes...electronics is sensitive. And expensive to repair.

5. Dec 16, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    The lift would be the only thing I could see them having a problem with but if it's within their limits it shouldn't be an issue. I don't see the other items being of any concern.
    Offroading damage would not be covered, modified or not as it is physical damage. Just make sure it's nice and clean when you take it in for repairs. If it shows up covered in mud they may try to pin the needed repair on Offroading damage, depending on what the repair was. Even if it was in for an A/C repair but showed up covered in mud they ("warranty" company) may note that for next time.
    Checking maintenance records is typically only done when replacing/rebuilding large items...engine, transmission, etc. It's partly to keep people from not changing their oil and using the coverage to fix the engine when it blows. The customer has to show they are doing their part to maintain the vehicle. I would be surprised if you found a company who didn't require you to keep maintenance records.

6. Dec 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    morzh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jackson NJ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.
    I am sure I overpaid. But then no insurance including Zurich sells 10 years. Only throughthe dealer. Plus in 10 years I might exhaust 120K. My previous car had 140K by 10 years, so it would be more like 8-1/2 years but then if in 8 years I retire, my mileage will drastically decrease.

Prerunner1982 likes this.
  7. Aug 7, 2020 at 12:22 AM
    andrew8c

andrew8c Member

Member:
    I would take extended one, anyway. There are dozens of web resources, including comparison articles and page, like this one here ( https://www.general.com/articles/nationwide-roadside-assistance-vs-aaa ), where professionals of insurance industry explain how it can affect on your further actions.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
To Top