1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I lift?

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by rjv3ga, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    rjv3ga

rjv3ga [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rj
    Vehicle:
    2004 yellow wrangler sport
    I have had my jeep for a few years now and absolutely love it. I am currently running 31x10.50 tires on it and basically stock everything. It has come time to replace the tires, but I want to go bigger. I love the idea of running 33x12.50s. But I am not sure how practical that would be. I know I need a lift but I am not sure how high I should go? I was thinking a 2.5" lift with a 1.25" body lift. But would I need a transfer case lowering kit? I have also read that the stock axle is too weak for 33s and that it would not be a good idea to run them. Even when you get the gear ratio corrected. This is the first of several things I would like to do to my jeep. I am a full time student who works a bit on the side. So I do not have a lot of money to do massive upgrades, yet. This also means I have very little time to actually take it on the trail and its my daily driver. Any comments are welcome, and I would like feedback on you experiences and information you have for me. A pros and cons list of information would be wonderful. As a young Jeeper I politely request guidance from our wise cult leaders. (FYI: I drive a 2004 wrangler sport). Thank you.

2. Nov 9, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:
    Welcome...very thought out first post! Someone with more knowledge than myself will chime in :thumbsup:

3. Nov 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome aboard!

4. Nov 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum dude.
    Honestly. I can't answer your question on tire size and if a lift is required. There's several members here that can answer that. But what I can tell you. If you do decide to install a lift. It does require you to upgrade a few suspension components. Track bar. Control arms. Are two main components you will need to focus on.

5. Nov 10, 2018 at 6:23 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I believe a 3 in lift will give you the clearance you need for 33s. You can do it without a transfercase drop, but you may feel a slight driveline vibration on acceleration. Instead of a tcase drop, the better way to correct the vibration is to install a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) kit on the Tcase. I would do the lift first and see if you get vibration. Many don't at 3in. Your axles are plenty strong enough for 33s. Body lifts greater than 1in are not legal in many states. I avoid body lifts, but realize the necessity for them in certain situations. Show us some pictures of your ride. Before and after pics are great too. One more thing Do you have a 4cyl or 6cyl?

6. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    TJ_abuser

TJ_abuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    2 inch lift, bumper and winch 33" mud claw
    my LJ has 2 inch procomp spring lift with procomp shocks and 33's fit fine you will have to buy offset wheels or you wont get full turn radius and your back driver side tire will rub your spring tower. offset back spacing wheels will fix all that they are about 50 bucks each from 4wheel parts for 10 inch by 15 inch

7. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    i do have a slight vibration in mine offgrid sye kit is my next project hoping santa will bring me the kit lol wife not real keen on jeep parts . i can order all the toy bruiser parts i want ( her car 07 fj fully loaded)

8. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    TJ_abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2005 jeep unlimited
    oh yea and welcome to the forum from DFW

To Top