1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stiff gas pedal

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by Hotshot7775, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Aug 18, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    Hotshot7775

Hotshot7775 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keller
    Vehicle:
    2010 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    alot
    Hello I am a new jeep.owner i bought a 2010 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and the gas pedal is very firm and has alot of pushback anyone know what this issue is and how to fix it please help thanks
    Keller

2. Aug 18, 2021 at 10:46 PM
    LYFZGOOD

LYFZGOOD members

Member:
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    2.5” lift 32x11.50x15,cold air intake, Smittybuilt stainless steel Bumpers, rough county pocket flares,Rugged ridge seat covers and floor mats. Conversion LED headlights 20’ LED Light bar hardtop,soft top,bikini top.
    Welcome from north central West Virginia :oldglory: Nope but I bet someone on will :jeepwave:we like pictures :proposetoast:

3. Aug 19, 2021 at 2:25 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    TMI

your jeep throttle control is electrical, no cable, Electronic Throttle Control 'ETC' the Accelerator pedal position sensors trnsmit the desired throttle opening to the PCM.
    1st I would scan for codes even if the CEL is off. Any chance the electronic throttle body 'ETC' warning is illuminated on dash?
    2nd A visual inspection- beer cans, sand, mud, carpet protectors?
    The diagram may help easy R&R BUT you need a scanner to do ETC relearn. .

2010   Accel pedal.jpg

Groundfault likes this.
  4. Aug 19, 2021 at 3:37 AM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
    Welcome. No quick and easy fix that I've heard of. Gas pedal is a fly-by-wire system with throttle response controlled by ECM. No mechanical linkage to engine, only wiring harness plug at top of pedal assembly. Pedal assembly has 2 springs inside of it and aren't intended to be serviced, changed or modified. Not an uncommon problem that you're reporting. I've seen a couple of write-ups online about removing the pedal, accessing the springs and removing the smaller one to make a softer pedal. Seems kind of risky, especially if it's a daily driver and not a weekend trail rig. Regardless of whether the pedal is modified or replaced with a new one, fly-by-wire pedals all have a throttle response training procedure that has to be done to set the correct pedal response position range in the ECM or you'll get a "Throttle Position Sensor" error code. Pedals are pretty easy to swap out and simple to retrain throttle position sensor. Not everyone has the same problem, seems like more of a quality control issue with the manufacturer spring tension, so you're kind of hit and miss on a new replacement pedal assembly being better. Best of luck with it, and please let everyone know if you find a solution.

To Top