1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Multiple problems after installing new light switch

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Justine98cherokeeAwd, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Dec 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Justine98cherokeeAwd

Justine98cherokeeAwd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justine
    Lehighton, PA
    Vehicle:
    98 jeep Cherokee Awd LIMITED
    Ive been posting on forums like this and I dont understand why Im not really getting responses. Only One fellow here knew exactly what to fix and he got me this far, But I havnt spoke to him in a while and im so close to finding the main issue... all I know is its something i gotta do myself. I have no choice. Most garages I went to do not wanto work on it. And the ones that would have no clue.
    You can see the entire story on my other post.

ok, one night I pulled my light switch knob to turn on my lights and the entire knob completely pulled out and there was like a nice size spark. Ok no headlights, called AAA.
    next day, i got new light switch from auto zone. Installed it but It wouldnt work right, i can only get my parking lights on. Figuring switch was faulty, i took it back , got another , did same thing. BUT this time I forgot to unllug battery and I ended blowing the headlamp fuse, the one inside hood. Ok ..once I replaced that and got my lights working and switch working..
    Thats when very strange things began to happen...
    Once I replaced fuse I blown...My engine light is now on...and no reverse lights and my jeep refuses to shift into OD.
    ok...i did research...Found out it could be NSS because reverse lights are out. Ok so b4 i decide to get a new NSS, i wanna clean it and beable to get code to find out exactly whats wrong. Cleaned it, it looked perfectly fine so i put it back on.
    i go to autozone to get it hooked up to DLC... And it cant communicate. I even tried getting code manually by holding in OD and turning key on..no errors.
    so the fellow told me DLC gets its power from........THE LIGHT SWITCH. Ahhh.

Getting somewhere now. So i DLC#16 the port, and found out theres no voltage. So. I get a jumper wire, splice a corner of power wire from light switch and jump it to the port. Now it shows it has voltage, but idk how much.... now..! So im like YAY! I CAN GO BACK to autozone and finally get a darn code. Well..even though i got power to DLC...still cant communicate..BUT im happy to report...
    My OveRdrive works now... but ONLY when MY jumper wire connected its .. and when it is. All.my dashboard gauges stop working...
    Still no reverse lights.
    ok..wtf
    i just found out today that if i start jeep before connecting my jumper wire, my dash actually will work but only my gas,oil,temp, battery gauges. Not tank/ speedometer.
    so I almost have this fixed. So me thinks that since jumping power from light switch directly to DLC I must be bypassing something..maybe fuse. Or. Relay?
    in meantime, im not messing with it untill I find someone to give me more guidance.
    I would appreciate if anyone has ideas of what I need to do or fix or buy now
    Thanks
    Justine
    Ps..I have a cherokee repair manual ive been reading. Says about clearing PCM...but I cant if i cant get a code reader to communicate, says i need to do manually...i tried some tricks to know avail[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

2. Jan 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    cpttuna

cpttuna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earl
    Vehicle:
    XJ-98-00-01-and 01
    ss exhaust-viper coil
    Anything extra electricial hooked up? The NSS if bad will not allow you to start the vehicle. Can you start the vehicle? Do you have any other blown fuses?

To Top