1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Puzzle to Unlock

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by HikerJeep, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Mar 7, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    HikerJeep

HikerJeep [OP] Member

Member:
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4: Have 315,000 original miles on it and the 4.0 is still HUMMING! Tranny still good too. (Definition of "grace": unmerited favor! Yup.)

Anyway - remote keylock has recently decided to avoid including the driver's door in its duties, so now all the other doors/hatch respond, but the driver's lock not; seems to be more of a "whirring" sound when the system is engaged rather than the slight "thunk" which I've been accustomed to.

Any thoughts about which direction I need to go to resolve such?

Thank you. Appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Mar 7, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    The power lock on the driver's door works as normal?

3. Mar 7, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    All power door locks work by using the door lock/unlock buttons? Only a keyless remote issue? Possible battery issue? Just some thoughts before removing the interior panels to access and observe the inner door lock mechanisms for blockage or stickiness etc.

4. Mar 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    HikerJeep

HikerJeep [OP] Member

Member:
    Makes sound(s) but doesn't walk-the-walk (or, lock-the-lock, as is more properly the case); sometimes, after walking away and locking via remote, when I return I find the driver's door locked too -- remote unlock does not function for that door; other times, I find the driver's door unlocked while all others are locked; then I need to use the key to manually unlock. The door panel lock inside works for all the doors just as it should; it's just that the driver's door locking mechanism is having an issue.

Thanks.

5. Mar 7, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    You might check the wiring going from the kick panel to the door, the harness there likes to crack.
    It may be a busted wire that is only making a partial connection and not allowing enough voltage to reach the door lock mechanism.
    The whirring sound could be the door lock mechanism trying to operate on less voltage than it needs.
    Just an idea as the door lock mechanism seems to operate fine via the door switch.

aggrex likes this.
To Top