1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire pressure on beach sand

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by peregrine, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Oct 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    They played good ball I gotta give them that. Chapman and Tanaka are still throwing harder than ever and the tribe choked. I just had high hopes for the tribe because of their record breaking season only to get shot down in the first series of the playoffs. That's ok tho. That's baseball tho. It only counts when it counts

JKBob 25 likes this.
  2. Oct 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    :threadjacked: btw hahaha

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    P)
    Shut up....who asked you. Lolll.:rofl:. Oh wait..you hijacked it .....lollll
    I'm right there with ya Alex. Sucks they lost. I see it from a positive side. Yankees were not expected to this far. Yes, they beat a very good Indians team. They beat the Astros 3 straight. ......at home. To win the WS. You have to win on the road.
    Next year. With their farm system, vets, and returning guys. Yankees will be a team to beat to get to the WS.

Sorry dude. Looks like a rebuilding year for you guys next year. Lolllll. :eek:.

4. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
  5. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    They Have a sale from time to time. Shoot them a message and see if they have one coming up

JKBob 25[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 22, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Thanks @chris4x4. Looking in to it. :)

Also. Went to play in the sand today. And the by "permit" only rule is strictly enforced. So..I had to pass. A $15 yearly permit is worth it. So I see one in my future.

chris4x4 likes this.
  7. Oct 22, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Besides the permit any other NJ stipulations? like shovel, jack, tow strap, spare tire, etc?

JKBob 25[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Yes.... Good point aggrex. I Have several. The strap, spare and Jack. The rest on my Wishlist. The least of which I may have an issue with. A piece of plywood measuring at least 5/8s thick, and 12 by 12. Lolll. And why....you ask....to support your jack if your Umm.. A dumb ass enough to run sandy beaches without airing down. Lolll. This..so you can jack up your jeep to fill in the holes you dug yourself self into. And....you will need a shovel. Loll. In most cases here in NJ. An adult beverage is most likely the cause for getting stuck. Lolll.
    Which.....i do not do...or condone.

aggrex[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 23, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    But back to OB tanks. Please correct if I'm wrong. But from what I'm seeing certain tanks will only get you up to 22 psi. So if I air down to say 15. A tank will only get me 7 more psi. And I'll still have stop at my local gas station, pay like 2 bucks for 5 minutes to air back up to 33.??? If I'm missing something....please chime in. Am I missing something?

10. Oct 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    My Co2 system has a 150 psi regulator, so I guess I could fill them to 150 psi if I needed to air something that high. I generally have to fill it once every 6 to 10 months, depending on use. I figured, for the price of the system, and cost of refills, It would take me about 10 years of refills or longer before hitting the price of an ARB system.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  11. Oct 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Awesome....so apparently I did miss something. Wasn't sure...didn't seem right what I read. I have access to several high pressure compressors at work. So,won't cost me a dime there. Thanks 4x4Chris. Sorry....@Chris4x4. Lolll.

By the way dude. Nice to know I can air down at Dairy Queens curbs. And air back up. Cheap. A cone with sprinkles ain't cheap. Lolll.

12. Oct 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    High Pressure air is different than Co2. Co2 is bottled as a liquid. If you are just using a pre charged air tank, then yeah, you'll only get a few PSI to air up tires. .

JKBob 25 likes this.
  13. Oct 23, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Umm...yeah...co2....high pressure air. Thanks dude. So that's why we keep you around. To point out the obvious. Loll. Sorry dude. You left me no choice. Lolll. Had to....:devil:. Still love ya.lolll.

14. Oct 24, 2017 at 5:40 AM
    ziggy

ziggy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    angleton tx
    Vehicle:
    2010 jeep wrangler sport
    warn winch- p255/75/r17 bf Goodrich mamba wheels quadratec sliders and rear bumper and spare tire carrier
    Welllllllll, JK Bob. What you say now? Go yankeez -- Go home!!! Go Houston!!! Sorry Bob, just couldn't help myself.
    Later
    steve

JKBob 25 likes this.
  15. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    It's all good ziggy. As another member here put. We are a sarcasic bunch. Lolllll. I've been known to be a douche bag too. o_O.

I take it your a Stros fan. Congrats. It was a good series. And I will admit.....the better team won. The Yanks just made a series of it. Made them prove they belonged there. The positives really for both teams. A good mix of young good players. And some vets that still got it. Both teams should be around for years. The Yankees became a better team in that series. They know now what the post season pressure is all about now. Good luck to the Astros. Should be a good WS.

Oh...and by the way. :flipoff:. Wait till next year. :rofl:

16. Nov 5, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Ok....so back on thread.20171105_125228.jpg
    So, I picked up a better nylon strap. A shovel, tire deflators, and first aid kit. Stock jack and a piece of plywood at the ready. Im ready for the beach. Along with the trail axe I won here from our very first giveaway. I'm ready for the beach, and trail. (Eventually) I set up tire deflators using my spare. So their set at 15 psi and ready to go. Still looking at a co2 tank (thanks to @chris4x4). Or a portable compressor. But in the mean time. There is a gas station not far from the beach. Permit application is in the mail. :). Headin for the beach.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    aggrex likes this.
  17. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:42 PM
    HardHat420

HardHat420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    18# and 16#.

You have a 6 ply tire so you don't have to air down very much as the softer tire is more plyable than an 8 or a 10 ply, which most people have and will offer advise based on their setup.

You'll probably here them say they run 5 psi with no problem. I'd imagine those people have 10 ply tires that are so stiff they look inflated even at 0 psi under the lightweight jeep ie. general grabber.

All the tires on all my rigs have been 6 ply.

You didn't mention the width of the rim, which is another important factor here. The more narrow the rim, the tighter the bead, the less likely to pop one.

Either way tho, narrow or wide, you will be happy at 18 front and 16 rear. Floats well and rides soft and smooth. At that psi you don't have to worry about popping a bead even at faster speeds.

If you do have a more narrow rim, drop it to 12 front and 10 rear and you will be climbing some awesome sand dunes if you want.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  18. Dec 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    So dude. Just curious. You don't agree with any posts above yours? Noticed you didn't click "like" on any. And just a IMO. Not all sand is the same depending on the beach and what part of the country. Hard, soft, wet, dry, fluffy. Just saying dude. I THOUGHT 15 psi, based on what I've read and seen.( TeraFlex, Extreme Terrain, Rough Country etc) Is a good starting point. What beach do you wheel on? Where at? Just saying dude.

19. Dec 14, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    I knew a guy that ran 0 psi. Yep...Zee Roe. Zero....Nill....nada. Ran junkyard $5.00 street tires with no pressure. Guy went every where on sand..

JKBob 25 likes this.
  20. Dec 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    HardHat420

HardHat420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 jku sport
    Not that I don't agree, I didn't read them to be honest and that's also why I didn't like any.

I figured I'd just give my 0.02 from my own experience.

And that is 18 and 16 on a 6 ply can handle any sand I have been in and we have all kinds of sand including very deep soft sand.

Now for climbing I drop that down to 12 and 10 if necessary but I try not to trail at that psi since I lack beadlocks.

It's also been my experience that whatever can get you thru deep soft sand can get you thru any other kind of sand.

There is so much sand here I'm tired of it too be honest and I've played around a lot with the psi in it.

Yesterday I made it up a dune with 16 and 14 and my buddy required 10 all around.

Both of us 35s on a 14 jku. His are 10 ply mine are 6.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    chris4x4 likes this.
To Top