1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble starting even after changing alternator and testing battery

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by ShutterBugged, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Jul 21, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    ShutterBugged

ShutterBugged [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Wrangler Unlimited X
    Stock
    hiya! I’m new here, but I’ve had a Jeep since 2007, an automatic four door WranglerX JK and no I’m not just kidding!! LoL My Jeep is stock, aside from normal maintenance replacements and I’ve been to Bantam JeepFest in the past.

Anywho, I’ve signed up as my baby is acting up lately and I would like to pick some brains here.

I went to the store last weekend and had no problems until I was ready to head home. I came out to what I thought was a dead battery. But like most, I tried a few more times to try to get it to start before getting assistance.

After opening the hood and four more cranks she finally turned over. But here’s the thing, it didn’t click like it normally would when the battery is dead. It did it again when I got home and put her in the garage. The battery was tested and has a clean bill of health and I changed the starter today (got a new one, not rebuilt) and it has already done it again within hours. I’m leaning towards there may be a loose connection somewhere, but I’m just not sure.

Anybody have any idea what else could be wrong with her?

2. Jul 21, 2019 at 8:40 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @ShutterBugged ...get battery test/alternator/charging test from parts stores like advance/autozone can confirm results. How old is the battery? Clean+check battery connections as well as starter. Inspect all negative connections besides just the battery.

Post some pics and share some stories. Nothing wrong with stock jeeps. Sometimes the jeep bug bites sooner than later.

Bob likes this.
  3. Jul 21, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    Welcome to the forum - have fun and hopefully we can help with any issues :jeepwave:

Stock is best.
    I always ask WHY modify - what is the already very capable vehicle to be used for? Is this a registered daily driver, competition vehicle, or maybe Freudian issues

Anyway - start with cleaning both ends of battery cables both - and +.
    Next time there is an issue try shaking moving snifter might be a NSS issue.

4. Jul 21, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
    Yeah, poor connections at the battery cables are a pretty common reason for a no or poor start condition. On my CJ, I have installed marine copper battery clamps along with copper terminal ends along with #2 wires for positive and negative wires. The starter is the biggest battery drain and a ground wire from the negative terminal to the starter mounting bolt might help. A lot of money was invested in designing your vehicle the way it is, leaving it stock is a good way to go. Although some of the harder trails aren't to nice to stock vehicles.

5. Jul 23, 2019 at 7:23 PM
    ShutterBugged

ShutterBugged [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Wrangler Unlimited X
    Stock
    Thanks for letting me pick your brains everyone! Turns out it was the wire going to the starter solenoid. Put some Dielectric grease on it and so far so good!! ☺️

Anywho, here’s a pic of my toy. (Well, hopefully the attachment sticks)

Might go topless Thursday and or Friday (80’s and no rain!!)

As for stories, I don’t have much. I’ve been to Bantam Jeep Fest, whatever year it was they had the Guinness world record parade of Jeeps. Took her on the light trails. Man was that fun! Oh, and this Jeep was won off the radio in 2007! Pretty nifty huh?

Hopefully I’ll have a chance to vacation sometime soon!

EA7EFD02-9F52-437E-A2C5-EDCC1F19EE3C.jpg

aggrex likes this.
  6. Jul 23, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    The Bantam Jeep Fest shows you're having a good time with the JKU and the light trail usage counts too! Winning a Jeep is a big win! Anyway the JKU looks great and glad the starter issue has been resolved. Can't help but notice the light surface rust going on the bottom frame areas. Light wire brush and some rust converter or rustoleum rattle can the areas. Perhaps you live or venture onto the beach areas. Be sure to rinse her down.

To Top