1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble starting

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Victorialn27, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Victorialn27

Victorialn27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victoria
    Vehicle:
    99 blue Cherokee
    I have a 99 jeep Cherokee everything under the hood is brand new including a rebuilt engine. I’ve been driving it around for the past few month no problem well today it was cranking but didn’t want to start have fuel and I hear the pump click on when it’s in the start position and I checked if I was getting fuel to the injectors and all is good I need this car to get me and my girlfriend both back and forth to work any ideas what it could be?

2. Jun 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    First of all Victoria welcome to Jeeps.net.

Secondly, are the spark plugs getting power? You can take out a plug and with it plugged into the spark plug wire lay it on the engine so that you can watch it while someone cranks the engine. You can also pull a spark plug wire, stick a screw driver in it, and then put the screw driver next to a metal part of the Jeep while someone cranks. A spark will jump from the screw driver to the metal part of the Jeep. I've been bitten by an ignition system putting out around 30K volts so I usually recommend pulling the plug unless you are comfortable handling that kind of voltage. It hurts!

If the plugs aren't getting any power I would suspect the ignition coil (mounted on the passenger side of the engine just behind the A/C compressor and alternator) or the Crank Position Sensor (CPS). The CPS is a common cause of a no start issue. It is located on the bell housing up towards the back of the engine on the driver side. The plug can be accessed from under the hood but the CPS is a pain and replaced from underneath the vehicle with a couple of socket extensions and a wobble joint. I can't recall the size of the bolts holding it on.

Here is the test procedure for the CPS posted on the interwebs by an acquaintance of mine, BlueXJ.

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
    1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
    2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
    3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.
    CPSplug.jpg
    Crankshaft_Position_Sensor_diagram.jpg

3. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:01 AM
    Victorialn27

Victorialn27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victoria
    Vehicle:
    99 blue Cherokee
    Thank you but what if you have no clue what you’re doing I got it to start and now it’s idling horribly. Could it possibly be a bad fuel relay or has most likely nothing to do with the fuel? I guess what I need to know if it’s something I could possibly fix myself or should I take it to a shop I plugged in my code reader to make sure nothing was wrong and scans came back clear and I have no check engine light on this just happened randomly. Also here is a video of how it starts now has never started like this before

4. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Not the first time I've been told that. o_O :D

I don't see a video/link posted.

I'm certain it's something you can fix yourself and it's a good way to learn.

It wouldn't hurt to take the tube off the top of the throttle body and take a looksy. If there is a lot of carbon build up a good spray down with some throttle body cleaner may help. Taking the throttle body off the vehicle is the best way to get it nice and clean. Also taking the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve out and cleaning it up may be a good idea as well. Sounds like the IAC may be getting stuck or not working properly.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Bob likes this.
To Top